1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best CD-R Brands For Long Term Archive

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by bonobo, Jun 7, 2002.

1. bonobo

bonobo Member

I would like to burn some data (family photo's) to archive the Precious Moments(tm) to CD-R and want to know what this forum knows about which disks are most likely to last the longest.

Also any other notes on storage and handling would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

1) First of all, the disc should be phthalocyanine, since it has longer lifespan that cyanine
    2) Also the durability of the top coating matters if you are going to use those discs.
    3) Storaging should be in calm temperature and absolutely away from sunlight.

I am sure others can fill in more..

3. andavari

andavari Member

...and since CD-R's are inexpensive create two copies, and keep one sealed should the in usage one ever fail or become damaged.

4. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

As I just said in the other thread, we had Cynanine, Pthalocianine, Gold, Silver (and maybe Formazan, what were those Kodak color made of ?) dead after 5 years. So we can't recommand anything for the time being, exept buying good brands and praying.

You may try HiSpace Carbon, they're good and black. But I don't know if it can have any actual effect on their lifespan.

It can be silly, but don't put fingerprints on the label side either, nor marker, even specially made for CDR. And store them in big jewel cases.