1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cooling for a blocked graphic card in crossfire

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Rhazel, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Rhazel

Rhazel Regular member

As you can see from the image below, my graphic cards are quite large and close together. I'm just wondering if anyone has a good solution to the blocked fan on the primary card as it gets to about 80 Celsius under load and the fan goes berserk. Cheers ;-)

[​IMG]

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Those are HD5970s? There isn't really a proper solution for dual-GPU cards in crossfire, other than to have a powerful side fan that blows into the case (in my mind, compulsary for any gaming system anyway). The only other suggestion is to attach a fan to the cards vertically (the same way up as a side case fan would be) but attach it to the cards themselves.

3. Rhazel

Rhazel Regular member

Yeah man, HD5970's. I have the haf922 as you can see, which has sweet airflow, but doesn't come with side fans, only spots for them to b installed. I think I might have to try that first, as my only only other option seems to be water cooling, which means more money lol cheers for the idea man, ill throw some more strategically placed fans in and see how it goes ;-)

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Water cooling.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is never a solution I'd recommend. It's up to the OP to take the risk or not, but I strongly advise against it.
    Thanks for posting a picture of how well 5970s fit in a HAF by the way, that will be handy for me to know :)

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

There is cheap watercooling and there is good watercooling...if you have the cash for a pair of 5970s, you probably have the cash for good watercooling as well. While cheap "DIY" watercooling is very prone to leaks, pump failure, etc...good watercooling is used in mission critical applications for years on end without issue.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even high-grade parts aren't guaranteed. I've seen plenty of accidents with what's considered the best watercooling stuff. Eventually, you will let your guard down, it's unavoidable.

8. Rhazel

Rhazel Regular member

Yeah, I've seen a few solutions from koolance that look alright...and around $500aus for the whole setup isn't too much to pay. Haf is huge and even with the 5970's there's plenty of room. Great case.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I sincerely hope you run a 30" monitor off those cards, else you would never notice if both of them were there... :p

10. Rhazel

Rhazel Regular member

3 24inches actually. Eyefinity is sweet ;-)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, I suppose that's forgivable then. Does the driver for eyefinity work in full crossfire now?

12. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I have two builds with two double-wide graphics cards in each and now I know why I've always made sure I had at least one--if not two--empty slots between them in addition to a case fan on top of them. The amount of heat those guys put out is awesome!

Dick

13. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Dont mean to thread jack here but I was wondering do the 4890 Vapor X cards fans work as intake or exhaust?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

k7: Indeed, one of the reasons I never wanted to go with Gigabyte for an i7 setup was the single spacing between the PCI express slots (Oh, and for the record, using the cheapest UD3R board with almost the most powerful graphics combination in the world is a bit nuts)
    Manufacturers like Biostar and DFI include proper spacing, which works wonders for cooling the cards, especially if you have decent side fans that can force air through that gap.
    Xplorer: You should really start your own thread for this, but almost certainly intake from the fan, exhaust out the back of the case (underneath the DVI ports)
    Clue 1: If a graphics cooler exhausts out the case, rather than inside via the fan, the cooler will run all the way along to the back of the case, and connect with it flush.
    Clue 2: If the logo on the fan rotates, you're looking at the intake side of it (Does not necessarily apply to radial blower fans, such as those fitted to stock HD4870s, but ALWAYS applies to axial fans, such as those on Vapor-X cards, and typical CPU and case fans). If the logo doesn't move, and you're looking at the frame side of the fan, you're looking at the exhaust side.
    Clue 3: No single-slot graphics card will exhaust out the case, for obvious reasons (the inputs are in the way!)

15. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Check out the GA P44-UD5 and GA P55-UD6

My last i7-860 double-wide SLI build was based on the GA-P55-UD4P and I felt I had lots of cooling room.

Dick

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When I said i7, I should have explained, I meant LGA1366, sorry. I'm aware the P55 boards have decent slot spacing, hence why I'm considering them now.

17. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Roger that. The Biostar TPower X58A has been piquing my interest if I ever decide to go the 1366 route.

Dick

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The very board I was considering before I decided to switch to the i5...

19. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I know but since it was some what on topic, and I just needed one answer I figured I would hijack this one time. You know I dont make a habit of it. ;)