1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Digital Camera for up to $300?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by T3kk, Mar 4, 2007.

1. T3kk

T3kk Member

2. T3kk

T3kk Member

3. ozzman23

ozzman23 Guest

well i bought alot of digital cameras trying to find one that i liked. the one i ended up with is the canon power shot s3 is.
    dont let the 6.0 mega pixel fool ya, this cam is awsome, it has more seetings then you would probally use, plus you can customize any setting to your liking, easy to use , most cam has the setting fast shot for stuff like sports, this camera here ( iv done it ) you can be in a car going 60mph and take a pic out the window and the picture looks like you took it sitting still. It might be a little over the 300 mark. but it is worth it.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Would you buy a Canon stereo, then why would you buy a Panasonic camera? I would stick with Camera makers for cameras. Canon, Nikon. I have the very first Canon Powershot S100 2.1mega pixels. I love it. Fits in my pocket and I use it. I had SLR cameras and lenses sitting in my closet for years; because they were bulky, I never took pix with them.

5. blubyu

blubyu Member

Cameras are a very personal choice. The only way you will know what cam is right for you is by doing your homework (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/) and trying some different models out. What do you like/dis like about your current cam? What type of photography do you typically take? still objects? speed shots? indoors? do you like taking video clips with your cam? (some restrict vid to 60 secs)

Personally, I stay away from proprietory battery types, unless you don't mind forking out for a backup battery.

I've used a number of digital hp p&s (didn't like any of them), owned 3 different kodaks, and currently own a canon s3 IS shooting almost always on manual, and am looking at a rebel xt as my next cam.

As for megapixels, most p&s users won't benefit from the more pixels are better syndrom. Unless you plan on blowing up your prints to poster size, anything from 5+ mp will be more than sufficient.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@blubyu

Great advice do your homework and actually go play with the ones you're interested in.

7. pahick

pahick Member

Can I ask why your against the Panasonic? I am an extreme novice when it comes to photography, but as a hunter I realize over the last 25+ years just how many opportunities ive lost for some great photos. Lastnight I researched some cameras on dpreview and actually settled on an Canon S3 or Panasonic FZ8. Im swayed toward the FZ8, the Leica lense seems to be a very good attribute. I didnt realize we had a photography section here, so I didnt think to ask opinions here. But with this quote above, is there something the Canon has that the Panasonic doesnt? As said before, im an extreme novice and have alot to learn. But I wanna purchase one very soon. With Spring Gobbler season coming up in May, I need to buy something and learn quick. This is all for personal enjoyment mind you. One of the main reasons I chose these two cameras is price. It seems a good compromise between cheaper models and SLR models. Thanks.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

My opinion, and that was solely what it was, was based on Canon or Nikon having much more experience with photograpy than say a Panasonic, Pioneer, etc. I have a Canon powershot and couldn't be happier. I would go to a store and try out either of the two models and see what they're like and base my final decision on that and not about what gets posted here.

9. broken89

broken89 Member

10. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

The better the quality, the longer it lasts. I have a 350d and a 75-300 III USM lens to go which is over 1100 but thats the price, minimal for a decent slr camera. The question is, what are you shooting?

11. gadgetbuf

gadgetbuf Guest

Hey I found a really nice camex camera 12 mega pixel tv out and PM Camera for less than 200 dollars. Check out [I got banned for advertising] They are all direct China imports.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007