1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DL burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by cidpower, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cidpower

cidpower Member

I currently have a Plextor 716A, but it doesn't want to burn DL disks worth a darn. I've tried Imgburn, dvd decryptor, clone dvd 2, nero, checked all my windows settings, updated my firmware to 1.10, all to no avail.

Instead, I'm at the point of setting this drive on fire, and buying a new one.

Who makes a DVD drive that will burn Verbatim DVD+R 2x DLs?

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

See [Videohelp.com's database.

Generally, the best drives are in the following order: Benq, Plextor, Pioneer, NEC, Lite-On. All but the NEC can bitset single-layer DVD+R out-of-the-box, but the NEC works great with a hacked firmware from Liggy's and Dee's site. Benqs unfortunately aren't being made anymore, and if you get the Pioneer 111, it's best to flash with the 111L (from The Dangerous Brothers, I think) firmware, which gives bitsetting and DVD-RAM.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. cidpower

cidpower Member

What about Pioneer?

Are SATA drives still crap, or are they noe finally a viable replacement to EIDE?

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

DOH! Ok, I deserve a slap for omitting that one. But I don't know if the new 112 is quite as good as the venerable 111. But Pioneer makes pretty good drives.

As far as SATA drives go, the scuttlebutt is that there is no real advantage to using them, performance-wise, but not that they're necessarily "bad". Personally, I would only use one if I had a motherboard that didn't support EIDE, especially since the price and selection of EIDE writers is much better.