1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Drive at Reading Problem DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by catfreak, Sep 27, 2004.

1. catfreak

catfreak Active member

As I have gotten on backing up my DVD collection I have started encountering problems with my Rich MP5240A's ability to read "high mileage" DVDs. A friend says that maybe I'd have better luck reading them with a DVD ROM drive since it really was made with reading DVD ROM type DVDs in mind. Anyway ... to make a long story shorter ... I want to add a DVD ROM drive to my system and I am wondering which one will do the best job at reading "iffy" DVDs. I am debating between the Lite On XJ-HD166s, the Toshiba SD-M1712 or the Samsung SD616T. I really want to get a "read all" drive and price really is not a factor, but I don't want to be stupid either ...

Does anyone have any preferences between these or any suggestions ... maybe a personal "bullet proof" favorite ??     HELP

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Out of those three drives, for pure "bullet proof" playback of all dvd media ld recommend you get the Lite OnXJ-HD166S, Ive never had any problems with it for playback, also it rips dvds faster than your averege drive! =)

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Thanks ... it looks like I'm leaning that direction ...

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I swear by my 166S. Three years old and still going like gangbusters :)