1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Recorder for the money

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by npacker, Nov 3, 2004.

1. npacker

npacker Member

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but this looks like a good place to get an answer to my question. Simple as this: I am looking for the best DVD Recorder for under $300. At first I heard the Phillips DVDR75 was good, then I read a bunch of bad reviews on it. I head the Lite-On line was ok, but read similarly bad things about it. Can anyone refer me to a line of recorders, or a couple of different lines that I can look at, as the BEST DVD recorder for the money? Remember, under $300. I know, that won't get me the best in the market, but I simply want the best for that amount. Thanks!
    Nate

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... There is a thread in the forum that contains lots of reviews ... Have you looked around for an answer to your question yet? Well anyways here is the link that I posted in that thread ... (personally I have a Lite On LVW-5005 and I like it a lot!) ...

http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/reviewlist.php

3. npacker

npacker Member

Thanks, I have looked through the forms a little, but the ones I found were people looking more for sets to do specific things with. Some of them have been helpful, but I just posted my question, hoping I could get a little more detail. I'll check out that link you gave me. I have looked at the Lite-On that you own, and am pretty interested in it, but have to find out the good and the bad aobut it. So could you tell me what you have and havn't liked about the 5005? And have you had any problems with it? Thanks,
    Nate
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Give a man a fish, and it will feed him for a day. Teach a man to use the internet, and he won't bug you for weeks.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  4. npacker

npacker Member

Oh, and a couple of other questions for you. Do you know if you can burn audio CD's from cassette tapes with this recorder? I know some of the sets out there have this capability, and was wondering if this one does. Also, I've read in some of the reviews for this model, that the playback quality wasn't that great. Have you noticed a difference in this one, compared to regular DVD players? One other question, can you buy a variety of brands of blank DVD's, or are you stuck bying 2 or 3 brands that are compatable with the recorder? The only reason I ask that is because I have a Lite-On dvd burner in my computer, and it will only work with a select few manufacturers of disc, and wondered if this drive was an improvement. Sorry that's so many questions, but I've noticed you've replied to alot of threads, and have sworn by your 5005, so I would like your input. Thanks!
    Nate
    Nate
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Give a man a fish, and it will feed him for a day. Teach a man to use the internet, and he won't bug you for weeks.[/small]

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Let's see ... Yes, you can burn audio CDs with the 5005 using either a cassette player or a turntable as a source (as long as you have RCA output jacks) You can also hook a camcorder up via a front firewire input ... As far as different brands of media ... I've used mostly Ritek DVD+R (that's what my CPU likes) but I've also had success with Maxell+R and-R, ProData-R, Imation+R, Khypermedia-R and TDK+R and-R. I've also used some Memorex stuff, but one of my players doesn't like it, so I stay away from it ... Mostly I order RiDATA branded Ritek discs from either NewEgg or SuperMediaStore because of the price ... And I'm a RiDATA fan ... GOOD STUFF! ...

... As far as playback ... My Tv supports 'progressive scan' playback, so playback in that mode is excellent. If you don't use that mode however, it doesn't look quite as good as my Sony ... I really don't use the Lite On for playback too much as I record lots (about 2-4 hours daily) and want to keep the 'mileage' on it down ...

... Really my biggest issues with the machine are the tuner (a cable box or an external tuner seems much better) and the fact that the remote is not universal (a volume control for my Tv would be nice) ... I paid $241 including shipping from http://www.compuadds.com/Product.asp?prodcode=S-996728 , and for the price, I have been more than satisfied ... Compuadds got the machine to me in 3 days ...

... Oh, yeah ... The machine comes with a 1 year warranty, parts and labor both ... most of the units I checked out only had a 90 day labor warranty ...

... Here's a review on the Lite On LVW-5005 ...

http://www.cdrlabs.com/articles/index.php?articleid=29

... Here's a Lite On forum ... If you lurk around you can see how others feel about the unit ...

http://forum.liteonit.com.tw/

... I hope that this has been some help to you ... Good Luck and happy recording ...

.. Victor Katz .. the original catfreak ..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]                            

[​IMG]

... I'm working harder than a cat trying to bury a turd in a marble floor ...[/small]

6. npacker

npacker Member

That was very helpful. Thanks. I am a Ritek fan as well, as that is the brand that works best with my Lite-On burner. I've been reading many reviews and specs on it. I believe it is looking good for the price. It looks to be the one with the least problems for the price that I have read about. Thanks so much for your input, you've been extremely helpful.
    Nate

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I saw one THIS WEEK at Best Buy which looks like a great deal - a Sony RDX7 (or something like that) for $299 after rebate. I can't get the specs or details now because the Best Buy website is offline for maintenance, but anything Sony and you know you're getting quality. Sure, you can buy a Gateway, Magnavox, or RCA for under $190, but you will likely want to replace it in a year. I think Best Buy had the Sony RDR300 (I know the code is wrong, but it's somehing like that) for under $300 a few weeks ago too. It's a discontinued line. Read the Amazon, EPinions or CNET reviews before buying, but I've heard of probs with the Philips DVD recorders, rarely the Sony.

8. npacker

npacker Member

Thanks, yes, I've heard the same thing about the Phillips' line. I've been reading the CNET reviews, and countless other reviews. I think that's my problem, I read so many dang reviews, I can't decide what to buy. But I'll check out that Sony at Best Buy. You're right, I haven't ever been displeased with anything Sony. Thanks for your input!

9. B52VET

B52VET Member

Just thought that I'd add my two cents........
    I bought the 5005 a few weeks ago and so far I like it. I use it mainly to record TV shows, so I use Memorex +RW disks and have had no problems at all. The tuner is adequate for most of my recordings, and I try not to use more than a two hour quality setting. It's pretty easy to program and operate, but the remote leaves something to be desired.....(The buttons and the printing on the remote are too small)
    I have yet to try copying my recordings onto my PC or another disk.
    Playback is fine, but I have a digital TV and that helps when you're in the Progressive Scan mode.
    The price was right for me too!
    When I play with the machine some more, I'll add my experiences with it on this website.

10. npacker

npacker Member

Thanks for all the input! I noticed the LVW-5101. It's considerably lower in price, and the only real differences I can tell is that it only burns DVD+R's, not both like the 5005, and I think it may be missing the FireWire input. Are those the only differences between the two? Does anyone know of any other differences? I am assuming that the technology is exactly the same between the two, just with a few less features, like writing to more formats and stuff? If anyone knows, just let me know. Thanks again!
    Nate

11. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I'm not familiar with the LVW-5101 ... I've only seen it at Sam's club (for $140 !) ... The only thing I've seen on it is here ... http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/ce.htm
     ... Maybe you should ask someone at the LiteOn forum ...