1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best dvd to use?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by smitty25, Jan 17, 2005.

1. smitty25

smitty25 Member

what is the best type of dvd to record onto I thought dvd+rw would be the best. I am very new to this recording dvd and stuff but want to learn as much as I can. I thank
    everybody for helping me out I will probabley have lots more questions. Also wondering if there's a place to buy blank dvd for a decent price on the internet i live in a small town and prices arn't great.
    thankx smitty25

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Meritline or Newegg, sales at reputable spots like BestBuy.com. Meritline handles Ritek which is a good brand. Steer clear of Memorex for the present. Most name brands are decent; Ritek, Ricoh, Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Maxell, there are others. Remember to buy branded media from a reputable dealer with a good guarantee.
    RW is for rewriting, records more than once. The + and -R for one time recording and are usually less expensive. + and - are both good. It goes to what your player and burner are compatible with. The rest goes to personal preference.

Me, I prefer the brands that sell Ricohjpn coded discs in 4X +R. Check disc codes with freeware DVDInfoPro of DVD Identifier.

3. smitty25

smitty25 Member

hellow was wondering what dvd burning softwear you use and can you burn all dvd's. I bought click 1 dvd but having some probablems. I run windows xp home.
    thankx.

4. RussReef

RussReef Guest

"can you burn all dvd's."

-- Yes. I haven't run into one I couldn't.

"dvd burning softwear you use "
    -- 'DVD Shrink' or 'DVD Decrypter' to rip
    -- 'Nero Burning Rom' to burn

Download these software applications:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm

Read this guide:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Good advice for the freeware route. The Ultra version of Nero has Recode2 which is a decent DVD recording app. (In the trial.)

I use AnyDVD running in the background, it's a driver type decrypter. http://www.slysoft.com I use DVD Decrypter to rip the files to the hard drive in File Mode. ( http://www.dvddecrypter.com ) (I like using hard drive files for most recordings.) I use either DVDCopy3, http://www.intervideo.com , or RB/CCE to encode the movie. DVDCopy3 does excellent work, even with high compression. RB/CCE is reserved for the big movies (where compression becomes a real problem or a classic where only the best will do). DVDCopy3 has its own burner and RB/CCE requires using one. For burning I use Nero or CopyToDVD. Since DVDCopy3 has a good trial period, there's no reason not to give it a good road test to see what you think.

With the new CCE SP v2.70, setting up a trial run of Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder (RB/CCE) is easy now. (Trials used to require EclCCE to work properly.) CCE Basic only costs about $58 dollars. (A good donation to jdobbs is usually in order when one finds out how good RB is.)

CCE Basic trials don't work is the reason for the SP trial. Basic is the choice here though limited to 2 passes in encoding. The SP is a professional program costing nearly $2000. Since Basic uses the same encoding engine, and only costs $58, it makes sense for most to use the less expensive version with RB (rich people and those who already have SP excluded).

Since using RB is a somewhat lengthy process, be warned up front that CCE SP trials leave a watermark on the recorded video output. Once setup, RB/CCE becomes a one button encoder. So, the learning curve involved on this setup is in the setup itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

brobear,

What's the story on Memorex? It happens to be the brand I have right now, but having noticed it is not on the "approved" list for my sony recorder, I'll probably get something different next time.

FWIW, ritek isn't on the list either, and I've seen questions raised about ritek quality.

7. walnut187

walnut187 Member

When it comes to the blank dvd's I have used all sorts of name brands, Memorex, Sony, but I will have to go on record saying that Fujifilm is my favorite. I did have a problem with some TDK dvd's. Every one I put into my computer, Nero would not even get to 1% and it would fail. So i tried one of the Fujifilm I had sitting around and it worked, well I thought that was weird. I tried again with the TDK's and still no luck. I rebooted both of my computers and tried again. Still no luck! So I took them back to BestBuy and told them what the problem was b/c I buy all my DVD+R'S there, and they said that I could have my money back or an exchange so I went for the Fujifilm. When it comes down to brand names, it's really what works for you! I usually buy whatever is on sale! LOL! I live in a small town also but BestBuy has the best sales of any other store in my county. I usually buy a 50 pack of DVD'S for 19.99, with the instant rebate that they deduct at the checkout. So, roughly 20 bucks for 50 blank DVD'S is not that bad to me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  8. PCx188

PCx188 Member

yeah i'm sorta new to this scene.
    i went to best buy one day and got myself a Cyberhome DVD burner. yes, the 50 dollar one after rebates.
    i also got me some sony dvd-r and fujifilm dvd-r.
    i have never encountered a problem with anything except for 3 movies...RE2, Black Book and now Forgotten.

the cyberhome dvd player for 42 bucks ain't bad neither!

9. brobear

brobear Guest

PCx188
    If you notice, a lot of other people are having problems with the same movies. It's not the media, it's the encryption.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

bazilla,
    The problem with memorex is that they went to CMC Magnetics as a major manufacturer for their recordable DVD media. A lot of people have been complaining about the CMC manufactured disc.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

walnut187
    The Fuji over all is a good brand in my book. But I don't think I want any of the Prodisc manufactured media that they sell. Just a personal preference and the Prodisc has yet to have as good reports from consumers as the other media. I like the Fuji by Ricoh and Taiyo Yuden. Mitsubishi and Pioneer also make media for Fuji. So you're looking at top manufacturers. One can tell more about a particular disc if they know who made it. Just saying a brand doesn't tell a lot. For instance, I've bought the same disc under different brands; Ricoh disc in Memorex, Maxell, Verbatim, Fuji and Imation. These brands sell a wide assortment of other manufacturers' items. So, just saying brand doesn't describe a disc well enough. You can get the same or a different disc in another brand. In fact, you can sometimes get a different disc in the same brand.