1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST EXTERNAL LIGHTSCRIBE? - My DW-Q58A not equipped w/ one!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by prpro1204, May 5, 2007.

1. prpro1204

prpro1204 Member

Any advice/opinions/comparsions on what works best.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE550G notebook with a DW-Q58A drive which does a fine job burning movies but, unfortunately taking the good with the bad, does not support Lightscribe.

My primary purpose for it would be to print good quality printed DVD "labels"--like I stated above, my current driver burns DVDs without a hitch.

Why not use store bought do-it-yourself labels???

Became somewhat ill after discovering Avery labels ruined 85% of DVD movie playback which played beautifully before the labels!
    *and, yes, all labels were COMPLETELY centered using the label placement kit it came with!

Also, any comments on blank media supporting Lightscribe and still compatible with my driver would be appreciated as well...

THANKS!!!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

LightScribe isn't going to give you good quality labels. You don't get colored labels, but if you want LightScribe, put a LightScribe burner in an external kit.

I don't know how well it will work. I do know that burning LightScribe is painfully slow.

3. prpro1204

prpro1204 Member

GrandpaBW,

Thanks for your response. You've changed my mind--think I will try some thinner clear DVD labels and see what happens.

Beautiful grandchildren!

God bless,

-Gina

4. inspdek

inspdek Guest

Full DVD labels are definitely a NO NO!!!! Using Memorex Label blanks and custom labels that I created using Photoshop and a template created in CorelDRAW, I backed up approximately 1000 movies which I then labeled. The failure/damage rate from the labels was nearly 100%! Even a labeled DVD which played inititially, failed 6 - 18 months later....so there is definitely a deterioration process occurring also. The good news is that I discovered "Goo Gone", a citrus based product, which does a good job removing labels on DVDs without any damage to the DVD itself. Unplayable labeled DVDs become perfectly playable after the label has been removed provided the DVDs were properly copied without erro(s)in the first place.
    So my advice...Make case labels...NOT DVD LABELS.

5. little155

little155 Regular member

inspdek, thanks for the tip on "Goo Gone". Before I was enlightened, I too used some labels on DVDs. Then I went to ink jet printable disks. I haven't had any failures yet, but...........

6. violator1

violator1 Guest

i use the lightscribe method and took a little figuring but the results, while slow, are awesome. i added the extended burn utility and the labels are amazing....patience is a virtue...