1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best factory built computers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ASROCK is certainly much better than ECS... but lets not drift offtopic too much :)

2. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Preator got a question... I plan on buying a new Computer probably within the next 2-4 months.(My PC) This AMD 1800+ Processor, DDR 2100 memory, 40 Gig HD, with a boring CD-RW drive is getting dated quickly . My Computer wasn't really anything special even when I bought it nearly 2 years ago, being a budget Computer and all. An AMD 64 Processor will probably be a for sure thing seeing how they will come down in price some by the time I do decide to buy a PC. As of now this is what I am kinda shooting for AMD 64(cheapest one I can get) , 160HD or higer, 1 Gig 3200 DDR memory, DVD-Writer, 19inch Flat screen monitor(not LCD) just plain ol flat screen full size monitor and a modest video card. How much roughly do you think it would cost me to have someone build me this system? VS just buying a Factory built machine? And when I say the cheapest AMD 64, I am meaning all hardware being the best bang for my buck, I don't need the best Mother board, just something good enough to expand 3200 memory to 3 gigs possibly. You know what I am saying?

3. Praetor

4. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

dell computers are super and so are sonys they rock

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd say Dell's are pretty decent if you're cafeful about the upgrades you get. The Teac DVD burner they've been using doesn't work well at all.

Many of the upgrades are overpriced as well such as RAM and video cards. If you get the core system and buy the extras elsewhere you can get by cheaper :)

6. Praetor

Yeah i used to not-like Dell so much but recently they've been getting their act together -- you still have to watch yourself though and buy carefully but that's just common sense :)

7. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I know HP's Compaq line have stepped up a whole lot recently with there Compaq X Gaming PCs GX5000T series. Also the SA4000T series and SA4000Z series are pretty darn nice expensive though. I think you pretty much get what you pay for. People argue what's better ATI or Nvidia, Or HP vs Dell and I will say Dell's XPS series was kicking the crap out of HP line and still is, but then again for twice the money it should be better. It's all what they wanna do with there products and marketing, either company can out-do the next if they really wanna do it. HP could come out with a computer to kick Dells butt, and Dell could come back and top them. I know if HP can make kick ass servers and business machines they can put together an ultimate home computer. I'm not saying Dell is better or HP, both companies are about the same as far as size and wealth go. I just think some companies don't make really high end stuff because they feel it wouldn't sell. It's like if Dell puts together a bad ass computer, People will flock over it with a stiffy, it's a Dell dude!!! But, if HP put together a machine lets say even topping the Dell, it won't sell as many as the Dell machine. It's all about marketing and hype. Any of these Companies HP, Dell, IBM, Gateway have the resorces to build a machine to make you go WOW.

8. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Here is a good example of what I am talking about

Dimension XPS
    Pentium® 4 Processor 560 with HT Technology (3.60GHz, 800 FSB)

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)

128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 SE

320GB RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs)

$2,989
    ------------------------------------------------------
    SA4000T series PC Compaq

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 560 with HT Tech (3.6 GHz)

2 GB DDR2-533 RAM / PC2 4200 (4 DIMM)

320 GB RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs) - Performance

256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro with TV-Out and DVI

$2,398.99

------------------------------------------------------
    And both these computers have the same speed DVD writer and both have Sound blaster audigy 2zs cards, everything else you might as well say is the same or comparable to each other. The difference is you pay $500 more for the DELL logo on the machine.

9. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Sorry for so many post on here. Just wanted to clear something up before I get attacked on here.. I know I said you get what you pay for, but I also said you pay $500 more for the Dell name comparing these 2 machines. Maybe the Dell is $500 bucks better than the Compaq, maybe it isn't.....I guess we could argue which computer has the better motherboard and so on. I was just talking about the bottom line...Both computers have the same processor, memory, hard-drive, both computers have the same stats is what i'm saying and do the same thing equally according to the stats, unless Pentium made a deal with Dell, we will make this processor better for you than we did for Compaq, lol..Ok joking. I will say this, the Dell has a much nicer case over the Compaq, that's about the only difference I can see at this point. Differences are X600 Pro and the other has an x800 SE, that's all i can really see. I always got the feeling Dell added on a few extra bucks to there PC's just for the simple fact it's a Dell.

10. Ronrice

Ronrice Member

Dell dude its all about the dell...dude

11. Praetor

Ok to answer the original thread title in one word: Voodoo.

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I would only recomend Dell based on service. So if your here you really don't need Dell's service. So I think generally there systems suck.

I would say Toshiba is the best. Yes you limited mainly to notebooks, but they are more powerfull then most desktops and the LCD screens are amazing. And if you are so include you can take it apart and move the components to a tower.

I agree that HP systems suck, also Compaq now. When Compaq was Compaq they were really good. but not that they HP they seem to suck.

Preator, you can upgrade a Mac. Its harder but do able. Hard drives are easy (almost any Maxtor will work), memory not as easy and cards can be chalenging.

13. Praetor

Yes i know *that* but i meant SERIOUS upgrades like mobo and CPU ... to my understading that's not doable correct? :)

14. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Prisoner.... So in otherwards you are saying Factory built computers suck in general, but Toshiba notebooks being the exception and they are the best. You must be looking at higher end notebooks from Toshiba. I never seen a real high level toshiba notebook, they make alot of budget machines starting from $799. Went to Toshibas website the Satellite line start from $799 up to $1549 and PC 2700 memory is all they come with. From what I can see all Toshiba notebooks currently come with PC 2700 memory, not impressed. I don't think the LCD screens on Toshiba are any better than any other notebook. Notebooks are great if you need your computer to go with you all the time, but if you want real power go with a desktop, The most powerful computer is a desktop not a notebook. I'm not talking about servers either, just flat out home computers that you can buy at Best-buy, Circuit city and so on. To me any computer is good if it has good parts inside of it's box and if you can get a good deal on it, then that is even sweeter. If they currently make a notebook with PC2 4200 memory and a hard drive over 300GB let me know.

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Preator, You can change the Mother board but you are limited and you can change the CPU but again limited. So its still doable, but the limitations do make it pointless. As its cheaper to just buy a whole new line Mac than upgrade an old one. Unless you get all the part for free from a University thats throwing them out :)

JSRife, Yes generally for power and speed factory built anything sucks. Look a racing as an example. You can buy a factor built bike, motorcycle, car or computer and you should not expect it to have lots of power or speed. thats why you need to customize it to your own needs. The advantage of factory built stuff is you know it works, that evey component has been tested and will work with every other component. This not true for custom, you have to be careful with powersupplies, fans and memory.

But as it goes Toshiba`s rock. They are cheap, they are at 3.4Ghz and the LCD screens are better than ones you can buy for desktops. Also they are portable, and if you want to upgrade hardives and memory, you can. You just need to know a little electronics to make it work. Also you can get some good Moble processors if you like to overclock. So you could do as I sugested, buy a notebook, but it into a tower, overclock it and upgrade the Hard disk and Drives.

16. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I know I'm kinda swinging from HP's Nads based on a great experience I have had so far with this HP I'm using going by (Quality and value), but in all honesty, I don't really know what kind of Computer I will be buying when I get one for my Upgrade to this current PC. I would have no problem owning a new Dell Desktop, I hear good things about them and they look nice also. If Dell can get me a deal where I pay a little more, about the same or cheaper than an HP PC of the same Calibur, as far as memory, HD, Processor and everything else goes, I will be buying a Dell for sure. Somehow I don't think it is going to happen though, I will be paying at least a few hundred more dollars for the Dell machine even know it's no higher of calibur computer than the HP for less dough. I always hear this and that, it's the big Chevy vs Ford debate. I hear this alot " Dell XPS is smoking anything HP has as far as desktop computers go" I feel that to be wrong though. If we are comparing Dells biggest badest machine to just a regular HP entry level Computer , then I would agree Dell gots it. Now if we are comparing the XPS to HP's best machine you have 2 very good computers operating on the same calibur or level whatever you wanna call it, with the same processor, Same 300+ Hard-drives and with excellent 3200 and 4200 memory. I don't really think either is really that much worse or better than the other. I go by what is inside the box, both make crap budget machines and both make high end machines, I think anyone in buisness producing Computers make low end and high end stuff. Both Dell and HP make products for people just wanting a computer that is good enough, and other machines to make you go WOW.... I try to get the most I can for my hard earned money, and want what's good inside the box, I could care less about the actual name brand on the machine. I just prefer HP over others because they offer the same quality machines as other companies do, but you save a few hundred bucks in the process of it all. Also read HP doesn't make as much profit off a Single computer they build as Dell does. HMMM maybe this is why I am saving money going with HP. It all comes clear to me now.

17. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

JSRife,

Why don't you build one? Thats what I plan to do when I'm ready to upgrade my pc.

18. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Hey I don't mean to rub People the wrong way in here.. I'm not trying to be a know it all between the HP and Dell Debate, I'm just going by what I know or I think I know, my knowledge between these 2 subjects may not be as good as someone elses. I'm not getting really nitty gritty and in detail about these 2 products mother boards and the deeper things to know inside the computer, because I know Jack about Mother boards actually. I just use the simple, if it supports higher grade memory like 3200 and , then to me it is good and even more so if it supports the higher processors like the high end P4 and AMD 64 line, but alot of Mobo's support both p4 and amd64, and you can either buy cheaper Mother boards that support these or expensive ones, like the ASUS or whatever. I just wanted to clear that up. I get a little carried away with my Computer stuff, lol.....As far as building my own computer, I will someday down the road when I learn more about them.

19. forkndave

forkndave Member

I don't believe you'll find a motherboard that supports P4 and Athlon 64. In addition to many other things, they use a different socket. Back in the old 486 days motherboards would take Intel, AMD or Cyrix processors. That was a long time ago, though. Now, you have to choose one or the other.

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Mother Boards for just about all cpu's at Tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com.

Also any other componets drives or add on.

Jerry