1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best fan placement

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ZippyDSM, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Okay I got a case with 2 120mm side fans,1 120mm rear fan and one 140mm top fan, its a bottom PSU case, so the default setting of both top and rear fans to be intake is a bit confusing to me. Oh hell I am just lost, should all my fans be intake? Would that help cool the outtake air going through the PSU? It seems hard on the PSU and vid card 0-o

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

a lit cigarette or a lite streamer will tell you which are intake or outlet,i would've thought the top fans would be outflow however computer cases aren't exactly air tight & they suck air from every opening including floppy & dvd drives of all things.This cooling you speak of thru the psu seems odd as the components in it are quite warm & generate quite a bit of heat which is natural,the most important thing is a constant flow of air in the right direction,a really bad example would be a vehicle in a wind tunnel so long as the air is coming from one place & exiting out the other while in between the air is flowing the computer will be fine,as that air that's in between is also running over the mobo etc,so long as the exhausting fans do their job you'll have a constant draw inside the case kinda creating a vacuum ,ok another bad example but you get the idea

ps:all the comps i've had have the cpu fan & graphics fan acting as intakes as they push the air over their respective units not exhausting,some chasis have a tube from the case side to the cpu to act as a funnel to draw air in as tho it was an intake

ps 2:the cpu funnel i mention above is an inake & the exhausting is done by the psu fan at the top on a mates hp desktop with top psu

my dell has only two fans excluding graphics card,it's a top psu so air comes in at the bottom front & is funneled directly over the cpu heat sink while the psu fan does the exhausting

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Well I rechecked it and it seems I got one backwards. The top one intakes while the one in the back exhausts , and the PSU I thought it exhausted from the case but no it exhausts itself only. as the bottom of the case has a grill for the PSU. I think I got it figured out now. And it seems I got the air flow reversed in my head for the video card, anyway I got it figured out.