1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best free anti virus program?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by blueduke, Jan 12, 2008.

1. blueduke

blueduke Member

I'm getting sick of Norton Anti Virus. Slows down my computer a lot. I'm due for a update but was wondering if there are any free anti virus programs that are just as good without all the slowdown to my computer. Any help or advice would be appreciated

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

I use AVG free and it works just as well as any commercial software. Also, Avast offers a free antivirus software, you just have to register online. These are both good apps.

When uninstalling Norton, download Smarty Uninstaller to make sure it completely rids all Norton installation files and registry keys.

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

the free avg is good, I use it on all my computers. But it is definitely not in the top 5 as far as reviews go. But it's good for normal everyday internet use.

If you need more protection, get the free program "returnil", with that program anything that slips pass your antivirus won't stay on your computer. I always engage returnil when I need maximun protection.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_d5702.html

4. skyphone

skyphone Member

Running the OS in Ram is one of the method to avoid infection of virus and it can also speed up your computer.