1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best graphics card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andy15, Jan 8, 2005.

1. andy15

andy15 Regular member

for gameing e.g doom 3

Asus ATI Radeon 9600XT/TVD 128MB Price: £35.00

Sparkle GeForce FX 5700 128MB £39.00

2. DynoO

DynoO Member

my ati 9550 is really good with games...like very good

3. bid_dj

bid_dj Guest

I say you buy a ATI9600XT then you have a TV tuner Radio Tuner ATI remote Wonder 2 and about $200 worth of Softwares all in one.thats what i have right now and way better than Nvidia besides you got a media center soft with it

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I have a 9700 Pro and while it still holds it's own in gaming, it's starting to feel the squeeze at higher detail modes.

I'm not sure if you're asking "what is the best video card?" As in, highest or top model, or "what is the best video card for the price?".

The top models are as of now I believe Nvidia has the 6800 Ultra model and ATIs is the X800XT Platinum. There may be a few different models of those cards that are above those, though.

For performance for price I'd grab that 9800 SE and make sure it has 16 texel pipelines. After that I'd use that software (wizardsoft I think it is?) and softmod it to a 9800 Pro.

5. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

The best video cards out right now:

ATI Radeon X850 XT PE

Specs:

540 MHz Core Clock
    1180 MHz GDDR3 Memory Clock
    16 Pipelines

and the

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

Specs:

400 MHz Core Clock
    1100 MHz GDDR3 Memory Clock
    16 Pipelines

6. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

So, in my opinion, I would go for the X850 XT PE

7. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

here's some more info on the cards:

Even better than the Geforce 6800 Ultra would be the Geforce 6800 Ultra Extreme

Here are the specs:

450 MHz Core Clock
    1100 MHz Memory Clock
    16 Pipelines
    256 MB GDDR3
    Pixel Shader 3.0

also an update on the X850 XT PE would be that it has 256 MB GDDR3, but uses Pixel Shader 2.0

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yeah, those are killer cards, guys. Albeit, buying cards like those can almost be considered, idiotic. They're so damn expensive and the only real performance difference you will even be able to notice is on higher resolutions with everything maxed out.

With typical resolutions and descent gameplay settings the difference will hardly be noticeable.

Not to mention you're going to shell out $500 for a video card that will drop in price beyond drastically as soon as the next "big-bad" flagship comes out.

Also, I've read a lot of threads about the 6800 Ultra having missing or nonfunctional hardware for video playback. This doesn't affect the gameplay, but most people reported when playing back video streams it skipped like crazy because the 6800 Ultra's onboard hardware for playing back video either is nonfucntional or never was implemented and this forces the CPU to be utilized 100% to playback video (ala lag and skipping). This can not be fixed by a driver update either. You would think Nvidia would have tested their flagship a bit better.