1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best hardware for my configuration?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ochssk, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ochssk

ochssk Member

I just got a new HP 300e DVD drive for the holidays and would like to convert my 8mm tapes to DVD before they fade away. I have the following configuration.
    PIII 800 MHz, 256K ram, Asus via chipset motherboard w/2x AGP, Windoze 98SE, an adaptec usb2.0/firewire pci card, and two free 5+ GB partitions on my harddrive 7200rpm maxtor (ATA 66, I believe).

Because of my limited cpu speed I'm no longer looking at the cheap Dazzle stuff. The Pyro AV Link looks promising and the ADVC-100 or ADVC-50 look excellent. I like the price on ADVC-50 and probably won't be interesting in outputing to a VCR. I'm also not looking to do any fancy editing, just add chapters. I know Windoze 98 has the 4GB file limit so I was hoping I could use a lower resolution than the MPEG-2 maximum since I have 8mm tapes with 240x270 line resolution and fit a decent length recording onto the DVD.

I am very new to this and learning a lot as I read. Any advice on what equipment/software to look at would be appreciated.

2. ochssk

ochssk Member

After some more research I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

ADS Tech DVD Express (~$100) has a heating problem but locks audio and is fairly inexpensive

Data video DAC 100 (~$170) seems to be the front runner right now

Canopus ADVC 100 (~$300) a little too pricey

Canopus ADVC 50 (~$180) seems the DAC-100 is a step above for the same price

Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP (~$50) cheap but will it work with my configuration?

Wish I could find one of these at a nice year end close out price!

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Steve

3. ochssk

ochssk Member

Well I'll just keep posting replies to myself. Heck I like talking to myself ;-)

Just wondering if the software that shipped with my HP drive and adaptec firewire card will work to encode and author a DVD on my system. I was given the following:
    Veritas RecordNow
    Arcsoft ShowBiz DVD
    Sonic MyDVD

No sure yet what versions I got.