1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDTV choice for PS3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Enix82, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Enix82

Enix82 Member

I have recently decided to take the plunge and buy a playstation 3 system, and I will be watching a many blue rays as well as gaming. I have narrowed my choices down between the Sharp Aquos LC42D64U 42" 1080p LCD HDTV and the Samsung HLT5087S 50" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV. They are relatively in the same price range, $1400.

The Aquos 64U series should have fixed the 61U's "banding" issues. The Samsung 87S sports a trendy led light system which supposedly gets rid of most bulb issues. However, I have read some reviews which report ghosting on the Samsung 87S.

Am I overlooking any major points? Should I go with the extra 8" as a selling point?

Thanks

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

i would say the sharp would be the choice some times the bigger the better but some times the bigger u go the less picture you see.
    sam sung is a very good brand in tvs tho.

3. DanyTaner

DanyTaner Member

I would go for the Sammy DLP. You get a bigger TV for a nicer price. I haven't heard of DLP ghosting issues though. DLP has a chip that gives it a faster response times than other HDTVs. I have read that LCD has had some motion blur issues though.

4. Scrappy22

Scrappy22 Member

I like LCD's better than DLP. I have a 32" LG with a response time of 8ms which is fine. I wouldn't recommend anything above 8ms.
    This descion would always depend on your viewing area. Is a 50" to big? I am a believer of, you can have a tv to big.

5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

No offence to anyone with a DLP but I am yet to see one that offers the same detail that LCD's and Plasma's offer.

I have a Sharp LC46GD7X (46" 1080p) and I can say it has a fantastic picture. I have a PS3 and the games look brilliant with beautiful vivid colours. Personally I feel that motion blur on LCD's isn't as much of an issue as Plasma manufacturers want it to be. Well, I haven't noticed any motion blur.

At the end of the day the choice is yours but my opinion is 100% LCD.

6. 10daysold

10daysold Member

My 2cents are go with the Sharp. I have a PS3 and a 42' Sharp Aquos (LC42D72U)... the 4ms response time on it is made for fast paced gaming (Like C0D4 :) Personally I'd take LCD over DLP, especially for playing PS3 games. I'd compare the color reproduction and response times from each and use that as the selling point, cause the size difference doesn't matter, they're both big screens :)

7. hulud86

hulud86 Member

You should buy a Samsung HDTV. I bought a Sharp tv and it broke about 5-6 months after i bought it. AFter that mess i upgraded to a good brand, i bought a nice Samsung HD and its amazing. It is like the best $900 ive ever spent.

8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

A good brand? So Sharp is not a good brand? Why is it that Sharp are the number one in LCD sales in Japan? Oh... Maybe the Japanese have no idea about electronics... Oh... but that's right... They invent them all!

Look, excuse my sarcasm but Sharp is the industry leader in LCD TV's, followed closely by Samsung and Sony. You must have got a faulty set but that can happen with any brand.

9. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Whoa sorry mr street fighter i didnt know you are in love with sharp. My opinion is samsung and yours is sharp, dont PMS on me.

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Think about what you're saying newbie! My opinion is Sharp, yes you are right there. However, you made it sound like Sharp isn't a good brand. I didn't trash Samsung as they have a good reputation too. Anything I post is from researched facts. I made my decision from an educated point of view. I wish I could say the same for you.

11. hulud86

hulud86 Member

First of all, calling me a newbie isnt going to make you sound cool and having a picture of a cheesy nintendo character on your posts doesnt make you look too smart either. You're probably some junior high punk kid so i dought your that smart and if you arent, then you're like a 30 year old lonely man who lives in his mothers basement with pictures of nintendo characters and sharp tvs all over your walls. Yes i did put down Sharp, but thats because i spent alot of money on my tv and the thing just died. So i think i have a valid reason to be unhappy and i dont think its the best tv to buy.

So my "educated point of view" to you ms. street fight is keep humping your sharp tv and playing nintendo. I wont ever talk to you, you stop commenting on what i say, and i will continue to speak my mind.

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Listen up and listen good! You are so far off track it's funny.

1) I don't live with my Mother, I actually help support her. I have more than enough money.
    2) Street Fighter is Capcom not Nintendo.
    3) If you read my post, you will see I own a Sharp LCD. If you need proof, here... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/611047
    4) Think about who you are speaking to. Have some respect.

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean they are all bad. I will admit my first post to you was a little abrupt. I just prefer people to be a little more open minded. People should always think about what they say. You never know who you might offend. I believe and I am sure many others will agree, is that I am taking the more mature response with my words.

EDIT: By the way this might be an interesting read for you...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/10644.cfm

And this... http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e1045f92-a928-11dc-81ef-0000779fd2ac.html

And this one too... http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/LCD/V7U2K9V4

If you need more, just google "Sharp sues Samsung".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  13. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Alright, let's let this go. Any further instances will result in 2 days off. Thank You.

14. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

haha thats cool :)

15. shubagh18

shubagh18 Regular member

FOR PS3, only one winner my friend and that is the

Toshiba Regza 42X3030DB

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  16. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

shubagh18, that's great that you like the Toshiba but the original post was asking between a Samsung DLP and a Sharp LCD.

I don't even know if he's been back to read this crazy thread as he hasn't commented again... lol!

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

lol, there you go again ryu...

19. DanyTaner

DanyTaner Member

Whaattt. IMO DLP is the best for gaming. The frame speeds are so much more faster than LCD so there are no flicker problems. LCD has been known for motion blue issues. And the picture on DLPs is much better than LCD, I've read that it offers twice the amount of colors than the other HDTVs--they have something like 200 trillion colors. So i don't see yow color reproduction would be an issue on a DLP. Again, IMHO.

20. SDMFer

SDMFer Regular member

Go with plasma for sure. The picture colors and blacks are amazing. The reason people say or push LCD for gaming is for burn in reasons. However, people dont realize how hard it is to actually cause burn in on a plasma. Leave it paused with full brightness for a couple days, then yah you will probably cause burn in. but duhhh....

I also see many stores manufacturers pushing things like "WOW 8 or 4 ms response time".....from what I've found and been taught, is that plasmas have something equivilent to a 2 ms response time. Therefor no risk of blurring crappy picture etc.

That said, I bought a Samsung 5054 plasma the other week, and hooked up my 360 via the VGA input for a 1:1 pixle mapping and all i can say is WOW....it looks PERFECT! No blurring, colors are amazing, and blacks are like tar. Trust me! You will see some people complain about some minor issues with this set, but they are even fixable with through a USB port. Quickly flash the firmware and voila....want more could one want.