1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HTPC

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by alxdotnet, Nov 11, 2003.

1. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Which does anyone think is better, buying a Media Center PC or customizing one using third party freeware?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whoa.... are you talkin about two different things now? (i.e., hardware vs software)

3. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

No, you misunderstand...
    Option 1: Buy a new Dell with XP MCE.
    Option 2: Buy a new Dell running any old OS and customize it with radio and tv tuner, extra big HD, dvd burner, etc.

4. Praetor

I wouldnt recommend either really, for the price of a Dell (and a Dell machine WORTH anything), you can buy one hell of a tricked out system with custom parts all ready for LAN parties, Media activites etc... the down side is that you need to build it yourself but it would be the ideal solution.

If not, i would recommend option two. It's always better to buy the parts you need rather than be bound by some preset combination (or a limited customization selection).

5. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Dell's customization is not bad, but I'm entirely up to the task of building it myself.
    My PC would be:
    2.8Ghz P4 800MHZ frontside bus
    512Mb Ram
    80GB HD
    XP MCE
    ATI All-in-Wonder Pro w/ remote
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    FireWire In
    Office 2003 Pro

6. Praetor

512Mb Ram -- Nothin spectacular
    80GB HD -- Nothin spectacular
    XP MCE -- whooppee
    Sound Blaster Audigy -- Nothin spectacular
    FireWire In -- Nothin spectacular
    Office 2003 Pro -- Totally irrelevent

And I'll bet you are payin far too much for it :) -- also note that this proposed system isnt that much better than what you are running now.

7. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Yes but if I run any more all-nighter DivX encodes on this poor laptop it will suffer meltdown.

8. Praetor

Fair 'nuff but just make sure you dont throw your money away -- and if you really insist -- throw some my way.

9. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

Oh well the GRID will be up in few years, so you can let supercomputers do all your encoding, imagine that a 12 pass varibale bit operation 1 hour movie encoded in matter of seconds! --Jokes/ witha touch of reality

Anyway has anyone tired shared procesing, i heard that its only really possible on linux and unix os, But i thought XP had Hyper threading? surely you can connect a couple of used (but powerful specs) PC together and do some parrell encoding? any ideas?

10. Praetor

You can do that but typically it requires Server and more practically Advanced Server. Another thing entirely, which may be what you are talking about, is networked renderings and such as they do in some of the smaller renderfarms (i.e., basement/highschool). Get a bunch of decent comps, a gigabit net or two, network them all and have them make mince meat of a render job. :)

11. PHiNX

PHiNX Member

I agree, building your own HTPC is much better than buying something prebuilt. I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe with a AMD 2200+ and 512mb of BuffaloTech DDR400, as well as a Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 SATA Raid Controller, and a Promise SATA150 TX4 SATA Controller, that control 4 WD 250gb SATA HD's and 1 74gb WD Raptor 10k SATA for a main drive, as well as some old drives I converted, and as far as software, I have found Win2k Server to be the best for my needs.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]HTPC:
    Asus A7N8X-DX - AMD 2200+
    512mb DDR400
    1054gb SATA raid
    ATI Radeon 9000 AIW[/small]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004