1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best ISO To DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kendallHS, Mar 3, 2005.

1. kendallHS

kendallHS Member

I've been reading a bunch of guides and although I have learned quite a lot from them, I am left a little confused as to what is the best program to use. I am looking to burn an ISO image to a DVD-R (Maxell 8X) using a philips DVD recorder. I don't care how long it takes and I want to leave the DVD image intact. No need to cut out subtitles or any of that. I am most concerned with video quality. What program would you recommend.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Try Decrypter, it's nice and free.

3. whirlble

whirlble Member

If it is too big for a standard 4.3 gig dvd then use shrink to compact it and save it as ISO and then use decrypter to write it.

4. kendallHS

kendallHS Member

I'll keep that in mind. But please keep in mind that I don't mind buying a program if it means better quality. If you had the money to buy a program, and didn't mind spending it, would you still rather use decrypter?

It is already in ISO format. ISO size is 4.49 gig. The Maxell DVD+R I will be using is the standard 4.7 gig type.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

The 4.49 will have to be shrunk, or transcoded to fit the DVD5 disc. The 4.7GB disc in reality only holds 4.37GB as the PC sees it.

VSO has CopyToDVD and Nero has the Ultra suite. I own both and don't use Decrypter as a burner. However, DVD Decrpter is my favorite ripper.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to mention, if you use the freeware DVD Shrink to encode, DVD Decrypter or CopyToDVD can be used to burn an ISO image automatically.

7. kendallHS

kendallHS Member

So, as far as quality goes, you would recommend me using the DVD Decrypter? I have all three programs. Just out of curiosity, how come you don't use the decrypter anymore?

Thanks for your help by the way.

Thanks to you too whirlble. It sounds like decrypter is the most popular.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  8. whirlble

whirlble Member

Yes Dvddecryper is a popular program along with Dvdshrink. Between these two you should not have a problem with any DVD at present. I have made approximately 75 copies and have not had a problem. The people here are very good at helping with problems. Good luck!

9. tmog

tmog Member

I made my first 2 copies last night using DVD Decrypt & Shrink and they did well. Took 11 mins to burn DVD after all that analysing/encoding it went through. I was impressed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DVD Shrink And Decrypter are good, but you mentioned you would be willing to buy a program. If thats the case then you couldnt go wrong with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Those two together work faster and IMO give you a better quality back up. I use both method's pretty much but have started using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 more and more lately. I have guides for both process's at my site (link in sig) if you want to check them out.

11. kendallHS

kendallHS Member

That is music to my ears. Picture quality is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I will check out those guides.

If anybody else has a better alternative (quality wise - even if I have to purchase the program) please reply. I'm probably going to give it about a day or two for some other replies and opinions. Otherwise, I'm probably going to go with your choice bbmayo.

Excuse me if I sound too much like an ignorant fool for asking this question. But, what is IMO?

Yes, I agree. I am very selective with the sites I keep in my favorites folder. This one has just become one of them. I look forward to contributing back as soon as I stop being such a newbie at this!!!

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

For just burning or copying an ISO there should be no quality difference between burning utilities (nero, dvd decryptor, roxio and so on...). The quality loss is due to the compression and encoding software used. Definition of ISO. http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/iso.cfm

13. brobear

brobear Guest

kendallHS
    I fear my words were misconstrued. I use DVD Decrypter as a ripper, I find it lacking as a burner because it will only burn ISO. I like a burner app that is a bit more flexible in it's abilities. If you supply good source files, most burners will turn out good video quality.

For one of the best decryption tools, AnyDVD is an excellent offering. DVD decrypter is also a good decrypter/ripper. Unlike AnyDVD that just breaks encryption, DVDD also rips the files to the HD. I have and use both of these programs extensively. So, yes I do like DVD Decrypter.

For the best transcoding app, DVDCopy3 from InterVideo is an excellent program. It transcodes and burns. So either using AnyDVD or files ripped with Decrypter, DVDCopy3 does a high quality job. It doesn't hurt that it is also one of the quicker programs for doing backups. You can try out the full function trial, so you don't have to take my word for it before purchasing. Do your own evaluation. http://www.intervideo.com

Rebuilder allows the use of Cinema Craft Encoder, a true encoding app. With RB/CCE you will get some of the best quality encoded movies possible. This is a bit more difficult to set up, but is easy to use once installed. It takes about 2.5 hours normally to do an encode with RB/CCE. It encodes only, so you need a decrypter/ripper to get the files needed to enter and a burner to record the output. Another option is to use RB Loader which allows encoding without using Decrypter. http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=24 You may need to use AnyDVD or the like to be able to burn CSS encrypted files though (I haven't tried RB Loader yet).

So my list of most used apps for creating quality backups are [bold]AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, DVDCopy3, RB/CCE, and DVD Shrink (for it's utilities, not usually as a transcoder).[/bold] RB/CCE is nearly as fast as Shrink with the quality settings in use and the quality is far superior.

The RB/CCE setup consists of freeware, betaware, and CCE which is retail. The CCE Basic sells for about $58. A trial of CCE SP can be used to get an idea of the setup procedure and view the output quality. So, nothing has to be purchased until you see the quality for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2005
  14. kendallHS

kendallHS Member

Mort81, thanks for that clarification. I definitely needed it.

Brobear, I can't begin to tell you how useful your response has been. I am going to test the programs, later on today. I will post my findings, and opinions on the programs once I am done. Maybe it will help another newbie like myself in the future when reading through this thread.

Thanks to everyone. Great help guys!

15. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just thought I would mention CloneDVD2 & AnyDVD also have a 21 day trial period. So you can see if you like them or not. As Brobear has suggested RB/CCE will probably produce the best results for picture quality espesially when there is a lot of compression involved. It does however take a little longer, but as the saying goes good things come to those that wait. The 2 I had mentioned are easy fast and provide very good quality. I would reccomend you try them all out and see which way you like the best. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  17. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo,
    If you haven't tried the DVDCopy3 yet, give it a go. I did it with a full disc at 7.9GB just recently with good results. Several of the other transcoder apps start suffering compression problems before they get up to files this size. It works with the AnyDVD (or DVD Decrypter). CloneDVD2 has no speed advantage on this one; if there is a difference, it is only a few minutes. They're both quick. As you say though, one should do the tests to see what they like best.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

brobear, I have to agree. The quality of DVDCopy3 is amazing especially considering how fast it is. I'm gonna make it my primary encoding/burning app. Dvd shrink won't be left out, I like to use it as a ripper in some situations.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Mort
    I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or not. Ripping with DVD Shrink can correct some structural encryption problems. So, I to in some cases use Shrink as a ripper. That's just one of the utility purposes I keep it for.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Yea I've had a couple cases where DVDD didn't rip all the vidio title sets to my hdd but dvd shrink ripped everything like I neded em.