1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best ISO To DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kendallHS, Mar 3, 2005.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

I haven't run into that one yet. I still use Decrypter for most of my ripping chores. The structural encryption problems with recording usually show up when one tries to burn. It only takes a few minutes with Shrink at no compression to rip a new file on the HD that is able to be burned.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Dvd shrink doesn't take much longer set at no compression than DVDD does And it will remove unwanted languages and subtitles so you don't have to mess with them. I doubt I ever dispose of shrink.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Brobear,
    I have used DVDcopy3 and there really isnt a whole lot of difference in that proggy and CloneDVD2 IMO the quality is the same. The main difference is the price. You can buy CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD together for the same price as DVDCopy3. I am not totally sure of the major difference in the 2 programs as I haven't used DVDCopy3 in a little while so I am going to download the newer version and see if it does something different than CloneDVD2? Thanks for the great advice though I will give it a shot again and let you know what the outcome is.. :)

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Compare them with a full disc backup about 7.75 to 8GB. Maybe it is my imagination, but at higher compression levels, the DVDCopy3 appears to supply a better quality video. One of the things I like is being able to do a full disc backup without having to worry about skipping or pixelation. I own both CloneDVD2 and DVDCopy3, so the usage on my part is preference and not a matter of cost.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK Brobear,
    This is one of those rare times where I have to disagree sorry :-( I just did a large movie with all menus and extras (Troy) with both DVDCopy3 and CloneDVD2, and I can honestly say after watching both on my 60" flat screen TV that I can't see any difference what so ever in quality with either disk (x8 White InkJet printable TY's) So I can't honestly say one is better than the other. The only things I can see that seperate the two is the price because they both do basically the same thing. So that is why I say the price does make the difference for these particular programs. I really like both programs and to be honest I probably like the way InterVideos DVDC3 format is a little better, but to be honest for the price difference and no difference in quality I don't see the need for DVDC3. Now thats just my honest opinion, and you probably won't agree with me and that is fine. That is why I suggest to everyone to try all the proggys out there first and see which one you like I can only write what my experiance is with each that doesn't mean it would be the same for the next guy. :)
    Just out of curiosity though I did a Google for "DVD Copy Sofware Reviews" and most sites have 1clickdvdcopy as number 1. So you know what I will be trying next :) Most sites also have DVDXcopy in the top 3 go figure that!! CloneDVD2 averaged top 6 and DVDC3 was usually out of top 10 if that means anything I don't know just some info. Personally I don't believe anyone would be disapointed with either DVDC3 or CDVD2 they both do what they are desighned to do and do it well :)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've seen those reviews about 1clickdvdcopy too. Let us know what you think about it ok. My trial for DVDCopy3 runs out before long so I need to decide which one to buy.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo
    Many of the reviews are popularity contests. If an outdated app like XCopy is in the top 3, then you're looking at backing up older movies and only on DVD5 format. Only the RF version of XCopy (unless patched) could use DVD Decrypter. That one had no decryption software, so it had to use AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter or the like. The majority of the XCopy was the ripper variety so those reviews are talking about an outdated app that can't handle the newer encryption without the additition of another program. I learned a long time ago to take a bunch of those reviews with a bit of skepticism. I didn't see RB/CCE mentioned in those reviews and you can ask anyone whose tried that setup, it has the others beat at high compression.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on most of what you said. However, you didn't do as I suggested. Compare the 2 programs using large DVDs near the 8GB content. I too have a 60" screen I view with a player that magnifys at 4X, so I can look at the pixels if I want. The only way I judge video though is to just view it as I normally would. By the way, Troy doesn't really fit into the category I mentioned. The ripped files on that one are only about 7.23GB. The Manchurian Candidate at 7.72GB would be a bit more of a test. One of the Lord of the Rings DVDs would be a good test. As I mentioned the differences I noticed were at higher compression with the bigger movies.

I'm not putting CloneDVD2 down. It is a good app until you start getting into the higher compression levels. We do agree on the interface and DVDCopy3 does have more function than CloneDVD2. So, I think it's worth the extra cost. As I mentioned, my opinion wasn't based on cost as I own both of the apps in question. AnyDVD, RB/CCE, Nero, CopyToDVD, Alcohol, Dr DivX, and more... I have quite a bit of software to choose from in my library. I mention that only to point out that I can make quite a few comparisons without cost being a factor causing bias.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK Brobear, you know I value your opinion so I am going to try out my LOR DVD and see if I can tell a difference. I know them reviews are junk because most are not with the times that's why I pointed out XCopy was in top 3 on most. You and me both know that just isn't true. By the way I also own both programs so it doesn't matter to me price wise either, but to a lot of people on here price does matter :)

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Let me know what you think once you do the high compression test. Look at the action scenes and also notice the depth of the colors and clarity of the video.

By the way, that 1clickdvdcopy trial isn't much, 3 movies or 10 days. $59 for the app and they throw in CopyToDVD3. Nice of them since it burns with CopyToDVD. Since it only allowed 3 movies, I hit it with a real test right off, The Grudge. That one has the ARccOS, Puppetlock structural protection and the bad sector protection. I was using AnyDVD to give it the best chance possible. With the extras along with the movie, the program ran into bad sectors at about 37% of the way through transcoding. It stopped dead in its tracks and set there and ground at the bad sectors for nearly an hour when I gave up. I did movie only with menus and it zipped through that, it didn't hit the bad structure and bad sectors. I did the Manchurian candidate from a DVD Decrypter ripped folder. That one did the full job, but about the same speed as DVDCopy3, about 45 minutes (that's not counting the rip). I think the video was better for the DVDCopy3, not a lot but noticable. The 1click supplied a good video. So, for my part, I'll stick with the DVDCopy3. There's more to the DVDCopy3 and it does a better job recording the newer movies with the more difficult encryption systems. I figured with the extras in the Platinum, I liked it better than the Gold.

Just thought I'd add, when playing The Grudge recorded with 1click, the menus were screwy. Navigating through the scenes didn't work very well. So, on that one, I would have been just as well off doing movie onlly without the menu. As you can probably tell, 1clickdvdcopy didn't make much of an impression on me.

Maybe BBmayo will give us a review where he's done RE2 or The Forgotten, something with an interesting encryption system anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2005
  10. BLISTERRR

BLISTERRR Member

OK... I've got 2 bin files that I've converted to ISO using ISOBuster.
    Now I have 2 ISO files of the one movie (it's in two parts)...do I need to join them somehow or convert again into one folder(as what?)...then burn
    Been reading so much and can't find anything and some people get pissed and tell me to keep searching.....I am I am.....but it's not working.
    how bout a hand HHMM???
    like to make a DVD for my stand alone player

Ques 1:2 bin/cue files, must I join them & burn HOW & WHAT with??
    Ques 2:2 ISO files join them? How & what with??

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@BLISTERRR
    OK in my signature is a link to my website there is a guide there that shows you how to join 2 movies using Shrink. That will work for what you need. The only difference is intead of opening files just go to File in Shrin and select open ISO.. :)

OK Brobear I did my original of LOR with DVDC3, CDVD2, and 1click.. My results where as follows..
    1click - Might as well be coaster plays like crap!! pixels and jitters all over the place.
    DVDC3 - Came out really good. I wouldn't say perfect but pretty darn close.
    CDVD2 - I honestly can't tell a difference in the quality of this disk compared to the one done with DVDC3.
    I would love to say one is better than the other between DVDC3 & CDVD2, but I am being honest when I say I don't see the difference. With all three proggys I had AnyDVD running in the background and I used some cheaper media (Prodisc) just to really test them better. So in my conclusion I would say both are excellent proggys IMO and I would just go for which interface you like better and IMO DVDC3 has a little better interface. Both are fairly easy to use, and both pretty much do the same thing in fact I couldn't find something one would do that the other wouldnt? by the way just for sheet's and giggles I also did a complete backup with good old Shrink and Decrypter. You don't want to know how that turned out.. Was a pretty bad copy lot's of pixels. Ok I now have 4 copys of LOR 2 good ones and 2 not so good. What am I going to do with these?? I know... Hey my beer mug fits on there perfect :)
    Just thought I would add did the Grudge and Forgotten easily with CloneDVD2 of course AnyDVD running in background..
    brobear I am kind of interested in if you ran the same test I just did if you would notice a difference in quality? I even had the wife and two kids see if they could tell a difference in picture quality and they all seemed to think there was no difference between the 2 disk made by DVDC3 and CDVD2...

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Edited Double post!! Damn!! Why did it do that?
    Friken puter!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo
    I went back and recorded Manchurian candidate with CloneDVD2. That was 7.72GB; close to the levels I was talking about. I noticed the deterioration in the video in several scenes. In action scenes minor pixelation occurred. Nothing blatant, but it appeared as a slight blur. Also, there was the occasional halo effect. Going back and viewing those situations under magnification showed exactly what I expected. The pixels were breaking up. Also, where there was smoke in the air and wave action in the water, one could see a break up there. So, yes, I could still see a difference between video from DVDCopy3 and CloneDVD2. The problems weren't blatant and in some cases might go unnoticed. Viewing movies on a 60" TV, the difference in video quality was noticably better with the DVDCopy3 transcoded movies.

While I was at it, I noticed the capabilities of the programs. There are some little extras in the DVDCopy3. SVCD, DivX, and merging DVDs are things DVDCopy3 does that aren't in CloneDVD2. Plus, as you said, DVDCopy3 has the better interface. So, all in all, I'll stick with DVDCopy3.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hmmmmm.. This is strange how we could get different results? I have now since my last post ran both disks threw Nero cd/dvd speed using the scan files option and there were absolutly no errors on either disk both perfect copies, and I also have a 60" Pioneer LCD Flat Screen TV and don't notice these imperfections on either disk? What brand of media do you use? Do you think that could be the issue? Or brand of burner maybe?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

It's not write errors. The video is there, it is just suffering minor compression problems. Under magnification, the problems are visible on a PC using player software. It doesn't read as a write error on the tests. The media used for this recording was Philips, which is a good product. The burner is the same one that gives the excellent results with DVDCopy3 and RB/CCE, so it wouldn't be the burner.

I'm not the only one who has seen these compression flaws before. If you would like, I'll round up some corroborating statements on this topic. We had a thread named one click transcoders that covered a lot of transcoder app evaluations a few months back.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bbmayo

I'm with you all the way on AnyDVD but I'm siding with brobear on this one. DVDcopy3 produces a decidedly clearer image than does clone DVD. Clone DVD's a good transcoder but I've done numerous comparisons between it and every other transcoders available and it always falls in the middle. You stated that you hadn't done a DVDcopy3 comparison in a while and since DVDcopy3 is quiet a new release perhaps you're referring to DVDcopy2.

I found CloneDVD noticeable grainy on medium to large files and it takes longer to complete than does DVDcopy3 with poorer quality results. The upside of course is that Clone DVD is considerably less money than DVDcopy3. The downside is that DVD Shrink's high quality settings are a free match for it.

I burned my results on Ritek media using either my Plextor 712a or 716a. I view them on my 22" P225f viewsonic monitor or my 32" high definition samsung using one of three progressive scan DVD players using component Patches. In the end of course it all boils down to personal preference and RB/CCE is my main backup system but I do love to test different products.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sophocles,
    Did you read the whole thread?? I just did a commparison with the two proggys, and as I can agree with Brobear that DVDC3 is an excellent proggy I can't seem to come to the same conclusion about CloneDVD2. I am not arguing against DVDC3 it is a great proggy but IMO and it is strictly that, and from what me and my family have observed there is absolutly no difference in the picture quality produced by either proggy. I have looked over and over in a bunch of different spots on each back up believe me I would love to say DVDC3 is better because I do like the interface provided with DVDC3 better and I want to justify the price I paid for it, but in Simon Cowls words "to be perfectly honest" there is not any difference in the finished product. Now if someone is having different results then so be it. I guess I should be happy I am getting perfect back up's with both programs. Have you tried CloneDVD2 in a while because it has also been updated recently and I believe this has improved the preformance. So as Brobear stated earlier I can agree to disagree on this one.. I hate disagring with the bear though.. We usually see eye to eye on most things.. :)

18. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo... Besides agreeing with us that DVDCopy3 is a good app, I believe Sophocles pointed out that he had observed the same problems with CloneDVD2 that I have.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I noticed that, but all I can say is I don't get these same problems. I can't explain why, but both produce just as good quality to me.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

I suspect we're looking at artifacts and particular segments of the video that are easily overlooked. Having an eye for compression related problems can cause a person to see things one wouldn't normally pay attention to. I pointed out the areas where I was seeing these. Action segments have so much motion, unless you know something will probably be a little out of place, you may not see it. Seeing a blur in smoke or background objects is easily overlooked. With over compression a little magnification shows the pixels breaking up. Smoke, mist and fire are notorious for showing mild pixelation (blurring) when over compressed. A blurred background under waves might be missed as part of the video. A slight halo effect might be missed in the lighting. Are you watching small segments of the backup and then viewing the original with things like I mentioned in mind? I've discussed this with others and they've noticed the same things I have.

I guess we've about worn the subject out. A group of others and I have seen the problems. You and your family don't see it. I've pointed out where the problems crop up and others have seen the same. You're not recreating the same situations or not seeing what we are. I suspect the latter because we're viewing some of the same movies. About all we're going to agree on here is that DVDCopy3 is a good app and that RB/CCE is better. That and I need to find out what happened to my avatar. LOL