1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best linux distro

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Spider323, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I would like to know what the best linux distro would be for me.

First of all I'm looking for a very graphically intense GUI. Soem examples would be http://www.gentoo.org/images/shots/desktop-rehcmx.jpg and http://www.gentoo.org/images/shots/desktop-scottsshort.png . I want the icons to look nice and everything 3d-like. Also I woudl like the system information on the rigth of first picture. The distro that I want should not include any programs such as Firefox, I would rather use Opera as I do now. I know there are two GUIs, KDE and Gnome. I also would liek some Windows programs to work such as Windows Media PLayer which I know you use Wine for. I already know the partitioning process so that's not a problem. I mostly use my computer for playing games aka. CS:SOURCE and DOD:SOURCE as well as watching movies, listening to music and converting video files but I mostly want the distro to be based off of which is best for games. So could you please tell me which distro is best for my needs and it's advantages and disadvantages based on my information. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. b0ba

b0ba Guest

Your own.

GUI - doesn't mean "the best" - user friendly - YES.

They do....

????????

Just don't install Firefox...

LOL :) However... that's possible.

You can run them using WINE.

There are much more..

Verrrrrrry funny...

PS: I'm using Debian.

3. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Thanks for replying. I know a better GUI doesn't make it better but I want a nice GUI just so it looks good. So basically I want to know which distro best supports surfing, game playing mostly, and watching movies.

I have my sights on SUSE Linux with the KDE GUI but like I said if there is better looking GUI I'll go with that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

you do know that you can make your desktop like that without linux.....

5. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hey, I remember being a program (forgot the name) that would change a few things but I didn't really like it. Could you tell me the name of a program that will do this if it will also change the icons and another program that will add those cpu load and memory load and other information exactly as it looks. Thanks.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2006
  7. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

LOL. Thanks, but I don't think I can really create my own Linux build. lol.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You can make your desktop look like that by using Stardock programs like objectdock, windowblinds and desktopX, or you could use StyleXP, with the addition of things like Samurize and Konfabulator (now known as yahoo widget engine)