1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Method of Preserving Digital Video/DVD? (preservation discs or external hard drive)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sonicdeth, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sonicdeth

sonicdeth Member

I've got lots of stuff, concert videos and what not that took me years to track down. I've transferred my rare vhs tapes to DVD+R discs.... I've heard that blank DVD's don't have a very long life span. I was wondering what the best method of preserving my digital video to last a lifetime? I was looking at these Mobile Fidelity 24k discs that are supposed to last forever. I was wondering would it be better to get those or more affordable and efficient to get an external hard drive to backup all my DVD's?

2. salinger

salinger Regular member

DVD do have a short lifespan. THe best option is to get an external drive. As long as you dont abuse it, it should last a lifetime.

3. sonicdeth

sonicdeth Member

I heard some people saying external hard drives only last a few years and they can crash? Mobile Fidelity has these discs that are supposed to last a lifetime......

4. salinger

salinger Regular member

Thats because people treat them bad...they carry them around unprotected like a casual USB stick. Trust me DVD's last shorter no matter what they say.

5. sonicdeth

sonicdeth Member

6. salinger

salinger Regular member

Now that you showed me your are not talking about the average DVD,i must admit these are amazing. As far as i can conclude, a harddrive and THIS dvd will have the same lifespan (guessing)...however, unless you name is Gates or Rockfeller, you should consider the prices; are you ready to spend $24 for 1 dvd with 4.7 GB only while for twice the price you get twice the storage space on a external drive?

Another alternative would be to buy a INTERNAL drive...this one will go into you PC and you can even merge it to your main harddrive so that you get a terabyte drive. A terabyte is 1000 GB!!!!! The total price of these is around $500 bucks but you can get cheaper. And they are worth it!!! You'll start thinking tera instead of giga!

7. sonicdeth

sonicdeth Member

Yeah I've thought about internal hard drives but I just don't trust my computer right now. I've got a Dell and always get the Blue Screen Of Death, it crashes all the time. It's actually 24.99 for a 5 pack of these. I'm thinking Sony External DVD Burner and these discs to start backing up my DVD's.....

8. salinger

salinger Regular member

Go ahead...if you have the moeny. I will still say that external drives are the better buy.