1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Movie Ever...

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Seraphim6, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

MackemX, Memento is one of favorites as well - what a trip that flick was! I've liked Guy Pierce ever since I saw "Ravenous", one of the best cannibal flicks ever and Robert Carlyle is AWESOME in it.

2. Nephilim

I just went to the top 100: Seen 60 and own 39. Maybe I do have good taste despite what everyone tells me :)

3. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

I've seen most of the movies listed but I'd never really heard of Memento but was recommended it. After viewing the Top films I soon made sure I saw the ones everyone else thought were good

I couldn't really name my favourite as they are all special in their own way I suppose. Even more so at the time of release as everyone was talking about them so it added a little more excitement factor ;)

@Nephilim, how many in the bottom 100 have you seen and own? lol :D

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]DVDStripper and MenuModder
    www.DVDStripper.com[/small]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  4. Nephilim

MackemX - Although I don't own any of the bottom 100 I've seen several....sort of. A bunch of them have been on Mystery Science Theater which makes them fun to watch!

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I lead a sad or moive full live. Only ones on the top 250 I have not seen are 39, 73 and 93.
    Saden that Seven Samurai and Hidden fortress did not make the list. Especially with Star Wars as #10, I would have liked to see the original (the movie lucus coppied ie Hidden Fortress) to hit the chart.

Most of the Bottom 100 I have not seen. I have seen Plan 9 and its not that bad. I actually own it.

My best ever list are mostly with and by Charile Chaplin. Everyone has to see Modern times and The Great Dictator. Amazing by far.

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Prisoner,
    the film is at entry #9 (Shichinin no samurai) under its original title
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/

Interesting to compare it with "The Magnificent Seven", made 3 years later:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

I have both films in my collection.

Have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Good point Dr. chips. Sleep would be good at least one day. I think I read it correct and then skimed throught the site looking for Hidden fortess and forgot about it. I love how Asian films can have 5 different titles. The classic one is KungFu Master with Jet Li. That was a complecated good martial film.

8. Nephilim

Criterion puts out both Seven Samurai and Hidden Fortress - got both :) Yojimbo and Sanjuro are both great flicks too. Toshiro Mifune is the man.

9. allin

allin Regular member

Fear and loathing in las vegas.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Nephilim, have you seen Ikiru yet? That one was amazing, just saw it this past leap day.

One of best Vampire movies I have seen is Underworld. It ranks up high, Blade was also pretty good.

11. Nephilim

I've not seen Ikiru yet but now you've got me very interested!

I loved Underworld too. What threw me for a loop was when I was watching the interviews with the actors the big black guy that played Raze actually talks that way in real life. I liked how they used animatronics for the werewolves and not CG - back to the glory days of latex, foam rubber and fake blood :) Blade was good too - I need to get it, haven't seen it for a long time.

My favorite vampire movie was Near Dark. Lance Henrickson and Bill Paxton are in it. Paxton gave one of his best performances ever - a total psycho vampire with some of the greatest lines in the movie. The bar scene is so awesome.

12. Nephilim

Prisoner, I just checked out Ikiru on IMDB - it sounds so cool I just ordered the Criterion edition of it :) I've loved everything I've seen from Kurosawa. It is a shame that Hidden Fortress doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Imagine how many avid Star Wars fans are out there who don't even know about it. I liked High And Low a lot too.

13. forkman

forkman Member

Could you tell me what Ikiru is about and why Star wars fans (me) would enjoy it.

14. Nephilim

Hiya forks! In reference to Star Wars we were talking about the film "Hidden Fortess" directed by Akira Kurosawa. George Lucas has stated that Star Wars was inspired by Hidden Fortress and there are indeed many paralells - princess escaping the bad guys with a precious item and helped by some colorful characters along the way.

Kurosawa's works have influenced several very popular contemporary films.

Hidden Fortress -> Star Wars
    Seven Samurai -> The Magnificent Seven
    Yojimbo -> A Fistful of Dollars and Last Man Standing

Kurosawa was one of the greatest directors ever and any self-respecting movie buff should see his films in my opinion. Amazing stuff.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  15. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

hidden fortress is a 2001 childrens film
    (looked it up on yahoo movies)

16. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

never mind- i found out theres 2 movies named hidden fortress- your talking about the 1958 one right?

17. Nephilim

Yep, the '58 one by Kurosawa. I didn't know there was a cartoon by the same name.

Anybody here ever watched "Begotten"? I've watched some bizarre weird ass movies in my day but this one tops them all. It made "Eraserhead" and "Tetsuo: The Ironman" seem tame.

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Just saw Meet the feebles on the weekend. That is a very good early Peter Jackson film.

19. Nephilim

Meet The Feebles is a kick isn't it? Kind of like violent muppets doing drugs. Ya gotta love Mr. jackson :)

I just got Ikiru in the post today - can't wait to watch it.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ikiru is much sader than meet the feebles. But an amazing film, I would like to hear your review.
    Good to see where Pupputs that kill (a Tv show) got its start. Looking back, Jackson was experimenting with new techniques and Films like Meet the feebles, Dead Alive, Bad taste, and Frightners really did for shadow a good lord of the rings. I would like to see Heavenly creatures.