1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best MP3 Ripper for Ipod

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SIKOE, Mar 24, 2005.

1. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

Hi!

I just got an ipod and I have over 300 cd's I want to rip. Does anyone have suggestions for software/settings/formats that I need to use. I want to get the best results. Thanks in advance!!

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you've come to the right place. if you want the BEST sounding mp3s, you need a free mp3 ripper called EAC (Exact Audio Copy). You also need the mp3 LAME encoder plugin (also free). encode at either 192 or 256 VBR (variable bitrate) and you will achieve excellent quality (as far as mp3s go). If you're confused, have no fear, because the best part is we have a complete guide to download, install, setup, and use EAC. Good luck.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

coffee cup ripper? I don't know about that...EAC is pretty much the best there is out there

5. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

LOL!

I totally forgot, that you were the MAN when it came to the audio stuff!

:)

BTW, how are the classes going, dj?

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sorry man, didn't mean to be rude, I was just saying I've never heard of it. There are decent rippers out there (coffee may be one of them) but EAC/lame is hands down the best.

Classes are going good, students continue to impress me everyday with their creativity in their recordings. Actually late for class (I know, bad example) so time to go...

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

LOL! You got me all wrong...I knew you weren't being rude, if anything I just learned something new! :)

It's cool...there is nothing to apologize for. :)

Like the little conversation we had about the Pro Logic Studio...great stuff :)

It's good to know that there is a better alternative than what I suggested...but...I have a question...lol...what took you so long to get into this thread! Figured you would have hopped all over this one. :) ;)

That's great to hear...hoping to here some of their creations soon.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. LOL!

;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

it is good to find people here like yourself that don't get offended at stuff like that. There has been so many times when I suggest something different than someone else has and it turns into a shouting match over something stupid.

well I'm here on the west coast, so this guy posted at 2 am, and I usually check my computer before I leave for school, around 10am. When I don't have to get up at a decent hour I'm usually up that late, but try to hit the sack around midnight when I have class the next day. A hungover-looking teacher with baggy eyes doesn't make a good impression lol. These forums get so addicting...its the first think I do in the morning, when I get home, and before I go to bed. If only you could be paid for this, it would be the ultimate stay at home job!

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

You got that right...energy can be spent better...like taking on the MPAA and RIAA! :)

Please...not me, if anything I am glad when people can at least calmly suggested stuff and not be jerks about it.

I am glad that you mentioned the EAC, because I didn't know that.

LOL...so true! I spend about 16 hours on aD. I never leave except to sleep, and that isn't much. LOL!

;)

10. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

So, EAC, huh? Cool I will give it a try! How good is cdex? Oh ya, by the way, what subject do you teach? Thanks for all the help fellas!! Much appreciated!!

11. Molder

Molder Regular member

Guys,
    I had a quick look at the guide for the EAC, WOW seems a little complex to me, I use Audio Grabber with the Lame enc engine thrown into the same dir and that is it. Check out Audio Grabber super simple to use I swear http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net, oh and it's free, remember to download the Lame Encoder.

M

12. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

What do you guys think? Is it just as good? M, I think the link isn't working.

13. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

@SIKOE

Here is the link again, don't know why it wasn't working in Molder's post...same exact one.

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Try em both...wouldn't hurt to have more options to toy with in case you prefer simplicity over technical, or vice versa. I thought the EAC was pretty good, going to test it out on somethings soon, but give both a try.

;)

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the guide for EAC is really not that complicated. It has a few more steps in the setup procedure, but it is well worth the time. You can do it in five minutes. Just follow the step by step instructions and it will work fine.

Other rippers like AudioGrabber and CDex are decent, but don't offer the quality EAC does. EAC is the ONLY ripper with error correction to ensure a 100% correct rip of the CD. (hence the name Exact Audio Copy). Trust me...go with EAC. You will thank yourself later.

I teach audio production and advanced audio production at a local college in Los Angeles. We do digital recording using Pro Tools, including band recordings, foley, ADR, and post audio for films.

15. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

OH Cool!! I am also in LA. Whittier to be exact. I am also interested in audio production. I use sequencers like fruityloops and reason 2.5 as a hobby, but I really want to learn about audio production. What college do you teach at?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  16. djscoop

djscoop Active member

a community college called College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita. www.canyons.edu

17. Molder

Molder Regular member

Hmmmm. I don't know why that link I posted won't work it's the same as VenomX05 posted for me. It's one of those things I guess.

Djscoop, I will give that Exact MP3 extractor a go, it will have to wait until next week though, I will report my thoughts to you, I can see you seem to be a guru in the audio field.

My daughter has a Samsung mp3 player and the prog that comes with it is ordinary only encodes at 128kbps.

Thanks

M

18. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

One question. When I rip a cd using EAC and preset standard, is the file suppossed to say it is a wave? Or should it say mp3?

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

after you rip it should be mp3, but be aware that it will first rip the file to your HD as a wave, then the lame encoder will launch when encodes the file to mp3. Also be sure to click the mp3 button (second down on left) instead of wav button (top button on left)

20. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

Ya, something must be wrong. I fallowed the guide you linked me to, but I end up with these wave files. They say wave in the properties, but the files seem to be mp3 in size. Also, am I supposed to have the "use external program for compression" box checked? Do I need to have the "do not write wave header to file" box checked? Is this why my files say wave? One more thing. What is the avg rip time for a cd? I have been avg bout 20 min. One or two have been as long as 35 min. Is this right?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005