1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best mpeg 2 or 4 capture software

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bartj, Mar 8, 2005.

1. bartj

bartj Member

what is the best software to capture in mpeg 2 & maybe mapeg 4 in. this is so that once the analog source is captured i can then burn this direct to dvd.

the only editing that "might" need doing is cutting out commercials as ill be capping tv programs.

2. maliaus

maliaus Guest

I been thru 5 different editing programs and the one I found the easiest and most useful was Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, if money is an issue there are decent editing programs from Pinnacle, Ulead and Canopus and then the lower end with few frills Roxio 7 and Nero 6. The software all depends on what you want to accomplish.

1. Want to do whatever you please - Adobe
    2. May need to do something different - Canopus
    3. Only need to remove certain segment and dont really care about transitions and graphics - Roxio/Nero

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

1, 2, and 3 combined: Sony Vegas 5.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what I use for Mpeg-2/DVD/SVCD Captures that I believe produces the best quality is "InterVideo WinDVR 3.0" which also has the option to Capture the audio in Dolby Digital AC3 Format which is the best Format for DVD Creation.....

If you need to edit the Captured Mpeg-2 files I suggest you try "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" or "Womble Mpeg2VCR" as they Can edit without any Quality loss and the rendering takes Minutes as opposed to Hours as with other Editing programs....

You Can Not Just Burn the Captured Files Directly to DVD because that is Not How DVD"s are Made...
    The Captured/Edited Mpeg-2 files have to be "Authored" to DVD useing a "DVD Authoring" program which will allow you to add Menu"s and Chapters to your Movie and it will format your Movie allong with the Chapters and Menu"s into a "Video_TS" folder which it will then Burn to DVD....
    You can"t Just Burn the Mpeg-2 files to a DVD and expect them to Play in your DVD Player Cuz the DVD Player has to have a Specific DVD file Structure to Read From which is what the DVD authoring program does...

A good and easy to use DVD authoring Program that is Good for beginers and advanced users is "MediaChance DVDLab"...

And when you are Captureing your Video Make sure you capture useing the Correct DVD Compliant Settings and useing the Correct Bitrate or you will be Stuck with a File that is Not DVD Compliant or far to Big to Fit on a DVD-R...The Bitrate settings you Choose would depend on how long of a Movie you were captureing so you would use different Bitrate settings for each Movie so you should get a "BitRate Calculator" so you can Figure out what bitrate you should use based on the Length of the Movie.....

Good Luck...

5. bartj

bartj Member

thanks for all your info

all im trying to do is the following. i have stuff recorded on sky + which id like to keep, therefore id like to transfer this to the pc & burn it to dvd. the only editing will be removing commercials if any

currently ive tried using win dvd rec; fly tv & winfast pvr.

im getting mixed results as get audio sync issues with some & not others.

ive only been capping 5 mins of footage to test what the results are so have not used the bitrate settings yet.

within the version of Nero 6 i have which i got with the dvd writer there is an option to Create a DVD - R Video which is what ive been using, this does the authoring process & creates the audio ts & video ts files.

picture quality wise the winfast pvr software that came with me leadtek card seems to be the best but i get audio sync issues.

win dvd rec i get issues with the colour as the cap is not as full of colour as what im trying to capture if that makes sense.

i do need to get a pci sound card though which will hopefully cure my sudio sync issues.

any help/advice is appreciated

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Try using Nerovision Express to capture.
    You can then edit, author, and burn, all in one app.