1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best online place to buy Projection TVs Lamps?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nathanna, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathanna

nathanna Member

I am considering purchasing projection TVs lamps and would like a recommendation of the best places to purchase on-line. By best I mean:

1. Great deal
    2. Solid return policy
    2. Is a reliable / trust worthy vendor

I have notice many sites have lot of projection TVs lamps, but not sure who I can trust.
    Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi nathanna...welcome to afterdawn! I frankly don't have the answer to your question though I'll look around some. You wrote:

This is where you must be careful with online purchases of this type. The MAJORITY of online vendors are considered by the manufacturers to be "distributors", not retailers. Because of this, the manufacturer's warranty is void ... and that is the case with MOST online vendors; they are legally bound to disclose this but it's usually in the fine print that few people read. Then ,if something happens, you're suddenly told that the two year factory or manufactureres' warranty is void and you're exceeded the 30 day (or whatever) limited warranty of the vendor which, as I mentioned was in the fine print that no one reads. When you run into a site, look for the words "Sony authorized dealer", "Yamaha authorized dealer" (or whichever company). If those words are nowhere to be found right there on the home page, there is probably no manufacturer's warranty but rather the site's own warranty. Some legit distributors match the manufacturers but others will really screw you if something goes wront. Also look for the gold "BBB" (Better Business Bureau" seal also on the home page. I bought my projection TV from JR Computers. It was still considerably cheaper than the local retailers (and tax free) but it did cost a bit more than some of the other online vendors but with an expensive purchase of that sort, it's worth the extra $75-$100 dollars because everything you've bought still has the original warranty intact. Crutchfield also has these "manufacturer authorized dealer" in bold letters on their home page. You might also look at those who have "free shipping". Many of them don't use UPS or USPS anymore but rather contract with private delivery companies costing them much less with the product actually getting better care in transit. Just my two cents for what its worth! ... Gerry

3. meggyM

meggyM Guest

I don't know about the return policy but I have used www.discount-merchant.com in the past and they have the highest rated customer satisfaction of any website according to consumer reports. They have only Philips Brand Projection TVs Lamps, which is the original brand for most rear projection TVs. Here are some of their advantages:
    • Best Price in the industry for ORIGINAL Philips brand lamps
    • Fastest Shipping
    • Great Customer Service
    • Very knowledgeable staff
    I hope this will be fine place for you.
    Good luck!

4. downtow

downtow Member

gerry1: YOU ARE SPOT ON...there are so many venders nowdays that do not honor purchases through eBay/amazon, etc. where the seller is not a authorized retailer or distributor. General rule of thumb: Make sure whoever you are buying from has a phone number on their website. #2) can you reach someone at the phone number? #3)then discuss your warranty...esp. on an item like this.

meggyM:Interestingly enough I placed an order with these guys (Discount-Merchant.com) last monday. I looked all over the Internet and found that they had the best pricing out of everyone. Called them, they picked up :) Needless to say, I got my lamp yesterday (that was quick!!) and the wife and kids are super happy!

It was kinda freaky...I placed the order and ten minutes later I get a tracking number emailed to me. Felt like the lamp arrived before I got off my chair to check my frig!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.