1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Plasma for the money.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FaugYou, Oct 29, 2007.

1. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

Hey, my dad and I are re-doing our TV room and have decided to purchase a plasma. We intend on waiting until black tuesday (day after thanksgiving) to get all the sales. What I was wondering was what is the best 50" 720-1080p plasma for around $1000-1400 if any. Thanks!

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Panasonic is the name in Plasma, unless you have the money to pony up for Pioneer. Note the specs don't sound real fancy, but the picture quality is amazing.

Wow, once the picture was calibrated the TH-50PX60U had undoubtedly the truest picture of any television that we have tested to date. Using the Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD player, we watched the Cinderella Man HD-DVD. With the heightened emotion of the final round of the championship fight between James J. Braddock (Russell Crowe) and Max Baer (Craig Bierko), the TH-50PX60U gave us the impression of being in the front row. After Braddock gives Baer a series of quick jabs, the sweat droplets fly off of Baer's face in crystal-clear High-Definition detail. The flesh tones of the boxers are reproduced perfectly, and one can spot dark details within the crowd at the boxing match because of the accurate ISF calibration.

Panasonic's black levels have been the best in the industry for years, and the TH-50PX60U is no exception. The TH-50PX60U clearly exhibits subtle differences in the dark Depression-era scenes of the Cinderella Man HD-DVD. This is an important strength for Panasonic because the dark matter detailing of the plasma television impacts the picture's realism as much as its color reproduction ability.

Wow, once the picture was calibrated the TH-42PX600U had undoubtedly the truest picture of any television that we have tested to date. Using the HD-DVD edition of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven on the Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD player, we put the Panasonic's High Definition capability to the test. Using the Toshiba's 1080i High Def output via the HDMI connection, the picture detail in scenes from the HD-DVD were astounding. In one scene, inside a dark cabin, a fly crawls across one of the actor's cowboy hat. On a standard definition TV, it's doubtful you would notice the fly at all, but on the PX600U I could clearly make out the fly's legs as it crawled across the hat. With a high-quality 1080i HDTV source like the HD-DVD, you could literally get so lost in the details of each scene that you lose the plot of the movie: the grain of a weathered fence post, the fine textures of sweeping Wild West landscapes, the coarse stubble on Will Munny's cheeks--it's all there, and the Panasonic never misses a beat.

3. Xpressor

Xpressor Regular member

50" Panasonic Plasma

if i didnt get my Sony Sxrd, i would of got
    the Panasonic

4. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

do u know the model number? thanks tho for the help

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

6. vlc648

vlc648 Member

That is an older model number. Instead of the 60 you will probably want to look for a 70 or 75 in the model number.

7. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

would that be in the range of 1000-1400... we can only get something in that price range, we have to save money for furniture and other sht

8. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

9. batdude1

batdude1 Member

Um, its black friday. Black tuesday was the day the stock market crashed in 1929.
    Anyway, if you have a bright room, I would suggest the Panasonic TH50PZ77U. It has an anti-glare screen which will significantly reduce glare, plus it is aggressively priced so you should be able to get a 50" for under $1500. If you have a dark room, or glare isn't an issue when you watch it, get the TH50PZ700U.

10. joytime36

joytime36 Member

Hey, you can have a look at the Samsung 50 inch 720p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV , it is nice .

11. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

we purchased the Panasonic TH-50PX75U and scheduled to pick it up tonight... Our saleman told us it was 1080p though Im a little leary that it's not... Can anyone help me out we don't want to pay for something were not getting.

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

No it's not.

Product Features

* 50 screen; Progressive Scan
    * 1366x768 (720p) native resolution
    * 16 - 9 Widescreen aspect ratio
    * Pixel Pitch (H x V) - 0.81 x 0.81 mm
    * Contrast Ratio - Up to 10,000 - 1

It's up to you to decide if you want fancy specs or a great picture.

Note there are always tweaking options to get the best out of all sets depending on the source material, read some comments here.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/reviews/2007/05/panasonic_th-50px75u_50_inch_plasma_tv.php

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007