1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Printer for direct print to cd-r/Dvd-r

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MarkeyG, Feb 18, 2007.

1. MarkeyG

MarkeyG Member

Anyone got any idea what printer is good for printing direct to cd-r's/Dvd-r's etc,

Have looked around and cant make up my mind, Not looking to pay a fortune for it but looking for one that does not gobble your ink,

Thanks All.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, all of them are hard on ink these days, and with the price of ink (both black and color) being about the same as a new printer it almost makes you buy a new one when you run out. Unless of course you use the re-ink type kits which are a bit more affordable.

personally i hve never bought a printer to print on discs, i have a lightscribe DVD burner. Which is not quite the same but also uses no ink. Plus i just take the cheap way and write on all my discs with a sharpie.

3. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

I'm a long time reader of this site, but I just had to reply to this thread.

Steimy, the price of OEM ink is expensive, agreed. However, check ebay for ridiculously cheap ink for any of the popular inkjets. That's the key though, you have to get a popular printer.

My advice (coming from experience) is to get either the Epson R200 or R300 series printers. They use the same ink, but the R300 series has an LCD and card reader to print without a PC.

I've had the R200 for about a year and a half (picked it up at bestbuy for ~$80)and couldn't be happier. It prints directly to CDs and DVDs and comes with great software for doing do. As a side note, I get all my ink off of ebay. My last order, I got 3 sets of 6 cartridges (5 color + 1 black) for $38 delivered to my door.

Lightscribe is nice, but the media is more expensive than printable media and it's not color.

Just my 2 cents.

4. MarkeyG

MarkeyG Member

Thanks for your help guys helped me a lot

MarkeyG

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have a r220 and mine has been great, easy to use and quite cheap too.

6. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

I just picked up the r340 what are you guys using for inner-outer settings?thanks

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I wish to add to SkyLynx's advice. Shop in reverse. Shop for the ink first! Then buy the printer that can use the least costly ink per page.

On a similar note...
    I just went and bought the old stype B+W laser jet while I could still buy one of those. Now only the huge printers for big business are made to use the cheep ink. The old ones do not print as nicely as the new ones because they use copy machine technology to print they last forever without replacement parts and the ink is dirt cheap. You can print for less than a penny a page. Now, even the laser printers are throw-away. I got an HP color network printer for about $300 including the $50 shipping for a printer that lists for $1000 but can be found easily for $500. The ink plus drum cost $600 when it is time to replace. I probably have another year on the ink and another year after that for the drum. I am debating if I should chuck it when I start to run out of ink. The other B&W printer should prolong that crossroads for another year or so.

8. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

I use 24 mm for inner and 120 mm for outer. I use media that is printable right to the hub (or "hole" for the lay person).

9. steimy

steimy Active member

SkyLynx, somehow i just never thought about Ebay for ink. But i should have figured that since they have everything else in the world. I do not do a lot of printing really but will be sure to check out Ebay when i need more ink. Thanks.

10. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member