1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best proggie for backing up DVD???

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by bbmayo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Cost is part of it, why buy it if I don't need it. I have no problem paying for a program I really like such as DVD Rebuilder. The other programs are Free and work better than some I have paid for, ImgBurn is my main choice for burning over Nero. Besides I like to be hands on with my back-ups you could say, which are done mostly on Linux lately.

The main thing is finding what works best for you.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@wolfmanz,
    I completely understand your points (very good ones). I really like your last statement the best find what works best for you. I do however always try different ways to backup my disc (just for experience) and that is why I knew there was an easier way of doing what you are doing, but like you said if you are comfortable with your process and it is giving you the quality you like then by all means stick with it! Believe me I wasn't putting down your process at all I guess what I am trying to do with this thread is get people to see all the different ways there are to backup your movies and some explanation as to how and why people do it. So thanks for your input :)

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yeah there are tons of ways to backup dvds, using all different app, free and not , plus the combination of what people use together,

but overall i think its all about preference.

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@300bowler

yeah there are tons of ways to backup dvds, using all different app, free and not , plus the combination of what people use together,

but overall i think its all about preference.

That is true, but preference generally comes by experience. New users have no experience and therefore no preference. This thread can be beneficial to new users to see how others make back-ups and why; then they can experiment, and make their own preferences.

Just my two cents worth....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ LABOY,

yeah, i agree with what u r saying, but dont get me wrong, i'm not questioned why start this thread, i think it is a good thread for the noobs and other members to see how other people use the combo of programs thats out there, and what there preference is.

this thread is very interesting to me, and would have never heard about InterVideo dvd copy if i didn't check this thread out.

6. maxxjulie

maxxjulie Regular member

just use ripit4me, anydvd, dvd decrypter, imgburn, clonedvd, and dvd shrink or nero recode. vobblanker isn't required if you use ripit4me. programs like intervideo's aren't as good. i've gotten bored like everyone else and tried out other programs and find they always suck.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thats why I started it. I am interested in hearing what everyone uses and there methods for using them. I am hopping to hear about something I haven't tried yet, but thats going to be hard because I have tried an awefull lot of ways to backup DVDs some good and some not so good ;-)

8. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

I have known about Intervideo for about three years but it has always given me so much trouble that i had to give up using it, till i tried V5 which seems to have less problems than any other previous version. in any case, since i refuse to use rebuilder, here are my favorite combos:

ripit4me/vobblanker if need it/intervideo/copytodvd.
    ripit4me/recode2/imgburn.
    ripit4me/shrink/imgburn.

i do have anydvd but i hardly ever use it because i like to work from the hard drive.

9. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Just curious. I have hardly every used imageburn or .iso files.
    What are the advantages of burning iso versus other method? Will .iso give better quality? Just wondering....

10. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ laboy,

imo, there is no difference from burning an ISO rather than a video_ts folder.

i think that some of the reasons why people used ISO outputs instead of Video_ts folder is that maybe they didn't have a Burning program to burn video_ts folders, and there was always a free burning program that would burn ISO's, such as dvd decrypter and IMGburn.

Now that IMGburn can do both and its free its all about prefrence.

i use both formats, for example if i want to copy my backup i usually just do ISO read than ISO write, but when i do a backup i use video_ts folder and burn with nero

11. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

12. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

The more programs and options that are available to us can only be a good thing. I have found that trial and error with lots of testing will lead to a rock solid method of backing up your DVD's. There are just so many variables that what works great for one person may not be the best for someone else. I am a strong supporter of the free program developers and make sure to donate once and a while.

13. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@bbmayo
    Well I tried my first movie with Dvd Copy 5, its a very basic no frills program but easy to understand. Ripped with DvdFab and processed through Copy 5 to hd. I used Nero to burn, but Nero popped up and said I had an VOB allocated error. I've never seen this before. So I decided to transcode/burn with Recode 2, and I had no problems.

Does Copy 5 have a setting I'm missing? Does Nero conflict with Copy 5? <<<<Can't see how

I'm not going to give up yet, I'm not that weary yet.

Strat

14. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

[​IMG]
    @BBmayo....... here are most of my DVD programs...... I have many and I have tried them all with great success..... I'm sure you have all these, too as I mostly got them from your advice or your wonderful guides! If one doesn't work, then most likely it just needs an update, and I move to the next program! I love them all and use them constantly. Variety is the spice of life and having more programs to do what you want to do is the best!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  15. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

@IHoe
    I don't see PGCedit...lol

Am I the only one who uses PGCedit?.....just curious...

Strat

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Why not just burn it with DVDCopy 5? I havent tried using Nero after trancoding with DVDCopy 5, but it should work?

@Ihoe!!
    Holy Cow!!! I have used them all, except for a few of those Ipod ones you have there. I never have that many loaded at one time though. I usually use a proggie for a bit then remove it and so on.

17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@BBmayo.... All the programs I have do not conflict with one another. Each works perfectly. I don't use them all at the same time!!! But I have them available ..... I don't use them and then uninstall them if that's what you're talking about. I don't load them up or have them running in the background all at the same time! Each one is used when needed..... but I must say I use AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 the most. If the quality runs below 80% and it's a movie that I really want to keep the forever..... then I will use RipIt4Me and then DVDRebulider with CCE and burn with ImgBurn! that's my best quality programs that I have..... I don't know of any other that is better than those. What's your best ones?

My collection: http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/IHoe

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I know you don't use them all at once Ihoe I was just stating that I don't have that many loaded at one time on my system. I will try one for a while and then I usually won't use it again so I get rid of it. There is nothing wrong with having all those loaded at once you just don't see it to often ;-)

I will agree if quality is what your after then Rebuilder is the best option as long as you are using CCE (CinemaCraft Encoder) with it, but most users around here don't want to learn how to use that proggie, and IMO DVDCopy 5 (which is a trans-coder) does a pretty darn good job also.

19. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@BBMayo...... I only have DVDCopy 4..... and I hardly use it...... same as DVDFab Plat...... both excellent programs! I'm kind of spoiled with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Easy and fast.... but if the quality slips below 80% on a good movie then I will use DVDRebuilder w/CCE! and if I have more than one movie to do with DVDRebuilder..... then I use the batch mode and let it work while I'm sleeping! When I wake up I have the folders ready to burn my movies! Very easy that way! The most I have done was 4 movies while I was sleeping and burned them the next day.....now that's progress! LOL

20. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Been following this thread, and it is pretty informative. I've tried quite a few combos, but not near as many as bbmayo and Ihoe.

Mainly use:

AnyDVD/CloneDVD2

DVDRebuilder with CCE (a few movies, but mainly episodic discs) or Procoder2 (animation): (ripped with AnyDVD/DVD Decrypter then processed with FixVTS and then burned with Imgburn)

AnyDVD/Recode2

I use RipIt4Me from time to time just to stay well-versed. If I hadn't already owned the pay programs, then RipIt4Me would be #1 with DVDRebuilder and HC encoder at #2.

@Ihoe: There's nothing like batching Season 4 of Oz (six discs of 3 one hour episodes each) and having it done in 6 hours while I sleep in batch mode (including output to ISO)... Ahhhhhh... the wonders of batch mode and the Core2Duo... LOL