1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best program

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by strings41, Jun 23, 2003.

1. strings41

strings41 Member

What is the top three programs to use to back up dvd's. I want to know the top three so I can pick my favorite. Thanks

Jeffrey

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I suggest you do some reading. On the top page are several methods that different people use to back up DVD's. Or click on the link in my signature.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I recon the top 3 now are DVD2ONE, DVDShrink and DVDXCopy. Not exactly in that order though!

4. Tosca

Tosca Guest

dvd shrink. Nothing fancy. Does the job. No other software (besides burning software) needed.

And best of all. Free.

5. strings41

strings41 Member

Are we talking full quality DVD or not. And I want DVD not VCD.

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

No-one here has mentioned anything to do with VCD.

All programs are relevant to DVD 'Back Up'

My top 3 :
    [bold]DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One
    DVD Shrink
    [/bold]

P.S. Best burning prog...debatable but I happen to think Nero & RecordNow Max are probably the best 2 : )-_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & herbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  7. Tosca

Tosca Guest

dvd x copy will split to 2 discs if they are dvd-9. With dvdxcopy I understand that you can't make backups of backups. So choose wisely. Although it will burn it fer ya as well making a burning program unnecessary.

I have only used dvd shrink for my one disc needs. With dvd2one you still need to rip it with another program.

Being that dvd shrink is FREE...I don't see the harm in trying it out. You can try it out and if it doesn't pass your "dvd quality" test then you can plunk down money for a program that does the job just as well.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD X Copy is handy, but the price is an isue for me. DVD Shrink and DVD2One are very good. DVD SHrink is better i feel, it rips and compresses the movies.
    You said:
    Well, to answer that is quite difficult. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It will certainly be far better than VCD and SVCD. Here is an extract from my website (http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm)

Why Rip & Compress Data?

A standard DVD-R enables you to put up to 4.7GB (4.438GB in reality) of data on to it. You might wonder 'Why can't I just make a straight copy of my DVD Movie when backing up my collection?'. The answer is simple! All DVD Movies and DVD ROM come with what is known as CSS Encoding. The CSS Encryption used means it is physically impossible to make a bit-for-bit copy of an encrypted DVD, thus helping the case against Piracy. To enable a back-up copy of a DVD Movie we need to first of all rip the contents of that movie in order to burn to DVD-R.

With some DVD Movies, once the disc has been ripped, it can be burnt on to a DVD-R without any further action needed. However, you will find as you endeavour to make more and more back-ups, that a compression tool is needed as the DVD's you are trying to back up are larger than the maximum capacity of the DVD-R. This is because different types of discs have differing layers and sides!

These are the types of discs that are currently used:

DVD-5 – A DVD disc which has data on one side, and a single layer of information which holds 4.7 GB of data

DVD-9 – A DVD disc holding data on one side, but with two layers of information. A DVD-9 holds 8.5 GB of data over the two layers.

DVD-10 – A DVD disc holding data on both sides of the disc, but only using single layers. This is effectively a double sided DVD-5, and therefore holds 8.5 GB of

DVD-18 – The most modern iteration of DVD video disc, with two sides each utilising dual layers. This raises the data capacity to 17 GB, and has been used on recent discs such as the single-disc version of Terminator 2: The Ultimate Edition.

With each disc, it really depends on the amount of compression. the more you compress, the less quality the video becomes.

Chris

9. djillini

djillini Regular member

I like dvd decrypter & dvd2one...dvdshrink seems not to like me :((even when using the guides)....

10. anosis

anosis Guest

I use...

Decryption:
    - Smartripper2.41 (freeware/fast/demuxing options)
    - DVD Decryptor (freeware/fast/many cool options)

Shrinking/Re-authoring
    - DVDShrink2.x (freeware/freedom of either coping movie with extras or just movie)

Burning
    - Nero 5.5.10.28