1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PVR to get?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by fsafsa1, Nov 4, 2005.

1. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

I would like a device to record tv shows or movies on tv to a harddrive (separate from a computer). I would basically want tivo, but wouldn't want to pay the monthly fee. I don't really care about the size of the harddrive or if it has a dvd recorder in it, but am wondering where to get a cheap reliable one.

2. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

any suggestions?

3. fatigue

fatigue Member

This is what you want, check this out: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4213124

Basically, it's a TiVo without the service or monthly fee. You can manually schedule recordings on the 80gb hard drive, and if you want to keep any of them, burn them to DVD with the built in DVD recorder. This version also comes with editing tools to chop out the commercials before you burn it.

4. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

ok thanks, is there any cheaper ones possible without the dvd recorder?

5. juliano

juliano Member

Fatigue,

Will that PVR you recommended work with the Dish Network?? If so, Can I still use my HD Dish receiver?? Dish tells me I would have to give up HD in order to use a PVR, is this true??? Surely it can't be? Thanks

fasfsa1....wasnt trying to hijack your thread....Sorry if it seemed that way....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  6. feefree

feefree Member

I too am looking for a fee free dvr. I have found a lot on building your own DVR, but I am wondering if I can buy one on eBay and use it without buying a service. The build-your-own sites talk about software (SageTV is one) that gives you that control. Is this something I would be able to add to a purchased DVR?

Like fsafsa1, I don't want a DVD recorder, but I would love to be able to record HD. Of course I probably can't afford a DVR capable of doing it...

So what are the easiest DVR for no fee options out there?

7. bobcat53

bobcat53 Guest

Dish has a HD DVR combo unit, but it costs $699 right now. I too got stuck with one, the DVR, and bought a HD TV at Christmas time, and refuse to spend more on a box than I did on the TV.
    Hope this helps....one OR the other, not both, unless you are willing to shell out the bucks.

8. feefree

feefree Member

I have been scouring the net and just found an HD DVR/receiver made by LG (LST-3410A). Circuit City has it on sale for $420 (in stores). The user reviews suggest that it takes some fiddling to get it to work. They also say you can't record one show while watching another. That is a bummer. If true, that suggests to me you couldn't pause live tv, since that is effectively recording while watching. I also saw a page that said LG has discontinued this product.

Anyone know anything about this product?