1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best quality video with smallest size

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by nuclear81, Oct 11, 2004.

1. nuclear81

nuclear81 Member

I, like many of you i'm sure have a decent ammount of videos that look and sound to be at DVD quality but are roughly 700MB's. I am curious if anyone has been able to get this same quality but lower the file size down any more. i use Xvid for video and L.A.M.E. for audio and get the whole thing processing as slow as I can for best results. I can get a full movie down to about 600-650MB's. Just looking for any other successful encoding processes out there.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Right on, Nuke - I sure do (DivX and LAME).
    The point is, 700MB is a blank CD.
    Next stop is 350MB, or 2 backups/CD, y'know?
    650 or 600MB, big deal - might as well be 700MB...
    The squeeze gets to be too much, specifically the vertical resolution of the video, not to mention the audio.
    Instead of 704 x 304 (2.35:1) you would have to scale that way down to make 350MB AVI, and you won't enjoy watching it fullscreen ;(
    There is actually more vertical resolution to work with in a 1.85:1 movie (640 x 352) and these can be scaled way down with better results...
    But the audio, you'll never get it below 100MB for a typical 100min film, without trashing the quality too much to enjoy.
    It could be done - high quality, low bitrate mono VBR audio, and 320 x 176 video - but don't do it, okay :) LoL
    Regards

Hey, better remove your EMail address from post, please (against forum rules).
    L8R

3. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Absolutely, spot on. Pointless to compress and reduce quality to anyless than 700mb

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

use vorbis or HE-aac for 5.1 sources audio. then you can raise the video bitrate just tad more.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/
    the trick is to clean the video for more compressibility.

use custo quant matrix. use everything xvid has to offer except qpel, which is compressibility expensive.

5. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

[bold]Absolutely, spot on. Pointless to compress and reduce quality to anyless than 700mb [/bold]

I know I'm being a smartass when I say this but there is a point to compressing it and it is to save you time when you burn it less file size = faster burn!

6. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Absolutely, spot on ;)

I'd rather have a slighter longer burn and better quality. Im sure 99.9% of aD would agree with me

7. nuclear81

nuclear81 Member

Incase you guys never heard of it, 3GP is the main video codec used to compress video for portable media players. Since the whole technology is still really new, it is difficult to find the software to encode with it. Anyway, I was able to compress an full 2 hour movie to 87megs and it looks perfect. Well, as perfect as a movie can look on a 4.2" screen. If any of you are planning on getting media player anytime in the future, you should look into 3GP.