1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best +Rs and +RWs for ilo?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ilojones, Feb 28, 2005.

1. ilojones

ilojones Member

seems like the ilohelp.com list isnt all that great. So from our personal experience, lets come up with the best discs for our ilos.

Today I bought a 25 pack of Memorex +RW. I get an invalid disc error, so I guess they are unusable (i tried out 4) guess I'll be returning those...(I notice it says they are 2.4x Is that an older model perhaps?)

My favorite so far is Maxell +R. I've been through 2 15 packs of those with no problems yet. I also used Imations +R, which I thought were not as good. That is the brand I got the Invalid disk error on after hanging on the stop after recordings. 3 out of my pack of 10 gave me that error, and realy made me mad as the disks were nearly full!

These are the only ones I've tried thus far, besides the +RW that comes with the ilo (and works fine) lets try and get a good list going! Anyone try Verbatims, ilo disks, etc...?

2. the-texan

the-texan Member

Began having the same problem with my liteon 5005 using memorex after the last drive firmware. Now all I can use the for is the computer. Went out and bought both Sony and Verbatim. They both work great. Seems Memorex didn't give Liteon a kick back, so the made sure they are not compatible anymore on the ne firmware.

3. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Maxell is by far the best choice for the ilo recorder. I have had no problems what so ever and the quality is excellent. The ones I buy are from wal-mart and can go up to 8x like that makes any difference.
    I did use some sony one day and they worked fine but didnt think quality was as good.
    P.S. - Ya the ilohelp.com is worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ilojones

ilojones Member

Yeah, what is the deal with the speeds? 2.4x, 8x, etc? Does that make any difference on an ilo? I would think it would only mean something with a computer dvd burner. How about those (expensive) dual layer discs that hold twice as much, does ilo support those?

That is too bad about the Memorex +RW, cuz I got a 25 pack for only $21 at OfficeMax. Maxell +R is a great deal as well, I get 15 packs for $10 at Walmart. I guess I will look to Maxell for some +RWs, as I also want to use the ilo as something to temporarily tape my shows on, then erase.

My primary use of it though, is making dvds full of 80s videos (-: I have a ton of them on old VHS tapes, and can put like 40-50 on a dvd in LP mode (-:

5. ilojones

ilojones Member

Ok, I returned the Memorex +RWs and went to CompUSA. I bought a 25 pack of CompUSA +RWs there for $15. They were also 2.4x speed, and also did not work on the ilo... I'm thinking now it needs a speed of 4x or above. That is also probably why places are selling the 2.4x types for so cheap....

6. sspearman

sspearman Member

I have used the cheap CompUSA 4x DVD+R disks with good success. I'm also currentlying using a pack of Verbatim 8x DVD+R nd haven't had a problem. This is all with the caveat that using the DV interface can cause high failure rates with certain tapes regardless of the DVD brand.

Do people really think there are quality differences in the video between different DVD brands once it succeeds? This is digital - doesn't it either write or fail?

7. ande1352

ande1352 Member

i've used Sony DVD +RW with no problems whatsoever.. i'm using memorex dvd +r with no problems either. 1193 firmware.

8. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey iloJones,
    First thats funny cuase I am also copying my videos from the 80s. We need to get in contact. Second if you read your ilo book real well there was something about the 2.4X that they refered to as a problem maker. Cant remember what it said exzactly.
    I have tried the Sony and they will work Ok but I dont the quality is very good. Maxell seems to be the standard for the ilo player.

9. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey Ilo Jones,
    you can contact me at cardsnmore2004@yahoo.com and we can discuss the 80s Videos. I do have a website also with a huge list. For all you spammers that I just gave my email to. I dont use this email so Spam away:)
    80sMusic

10. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey Spearman,
    Maxell does seem to do a better job than Sony. Im still recording some to sony so I will see if maybe its just me.

11. ilojones

ilojones Member

Ok, so in my continuing bargain hunt for quality, working DVDs I ended up at Staples. They were selling 50 packs of Staples brand DVD+Rs for $20! Too good of a deal for me to pass up at 40 cents a DVD! I guess with having 50 sitting around I dont need the benefit of +RW. I can just record my weekly dose of wrestling, simple life, and survivor on one of these 40 cent babys, watch it and discard if I want too! And by the way, the staples discs are 8x...

80s, I wrote you back a private msg, and now I'm gonna go thru the ilo manual again. I never did see the 2.4x warning, but I bet you're right based on having to return 2 twenty packs over the last 2 days.

12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Has anyone tried using the iLo branded discs available from WalMart? It would stand to reason that iLo discs would work best in the iLo recorders ...

13. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey Catfreak,
    Thats funny!!!!!! My Walmart dont carry them and this is the first Ive heard of them. Matter fact I dont remember seeing them on the Walmart.com site.
    Ill check it out

14. ilojones

ilojones Member

What's even funnier is, the ilo disks are not on the recommended list on ilohelp.com....lol

15. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Im curious how the memorex will act on my ilo system. Seems alot of people have problems with them even on other systems.
    Ill keep ya updated on results. Let me know how the Staples brand dvds work out. I see they also have sony 50 packs for 20.00. Ive been recording to sony today and they seem to work fine. Im still undecided if the Sony are as good as the Maxell.

16. scd

scd Member

I use Ridata which are made by Ritek newegg.com had them on sale $14.99 for a 100 cake pack.(price reflects a mail-in rebate) They work well in the ilo dvdr04 and my Optorite DD1603 dual layer burner. No coaster yet!

Ciao!

Scd

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  17. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

80sMusic Do you have a Supercenter or just a normal store by you ? Cause I have seen them but each time it has been at Supercenters.

18. scd

scd Member

I ordered them off their web site. Also FujiFilm(these both can be purchased for 50@$19.95 at bestbuy stores) brand work well as do TDK. I've also heard that Maxelle work well too.

Ciao!

Scd

19. hal900020

hal900020 Member

Try erasing the DVD+RW before you use them.

I have used Fuji 2.4X and Memorex 4X with no problems.I have reused the first 5 Fujis over 20 times now.

20. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey ydkjman,
    If you referring to the ilo brand dvds. Ya we have a Supercenter here, My wife works at it. They never heard of ilo dvdr's and I sure didnt see them on the walMart site.
    However I was at a different Walmart the other day and to my surprise saw the say ilo recorder I bought for 10.00 cheaper and that was standard price. Im guessing that some Walmarts have and others dont.