1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best sound format to place on my ipod for car stereo play?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hppav, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hppav

hppav Member

Very imformative resource here guys, I've been using it quite a bit to help me.

As of late I have been converting alot of the MP3's from my ipod into higher bitrate files using LAME. I have an Alpine CDA-9883 receiver in m vehicle which plays MP3/WMA/AAC files.

I don't use CDs (burner is busted) but I do play all of my music through my 20 gb Ipod. My question for you is this:

What do you think is the best audio format to place on my ipod which will also play in my car stereo?

Which program would you suggest for using to convert the files?

Will this program Keep the ID tags for my songs?

The program I have been using (I think it was LAME drop, don't have it off the top of my head) doesn't preserve the ID tags so I was needing to manually go back and rename the artists of every track. Beginning to be a pain when you have Over 1,000 tracks.

2. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Don't waste your time. Converting to a higher bitrate can't improve the sound. If anything, it'll probably degrade some. If the bits ain't there to begin with, they won't magically reappear when you 'convert'. I'd plug my 'iPod' into the 'aux' input in the car and be done with it.

3. hppav

hppav Member

No dice ey?

I do have it plugged in through the aux.

So then what's the point of using a program like LAME or people converting bit rates?

4. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

You'll lose by converting, however if you start by ripping from CDs you will get better audio at higher bitrates. And LAME is one of the best encoders out there. Sometimes people lower the bitrate to play back on phones or other low capacity devices. If you have the original CDs, I'd recommend CDEx (which uses LAME) to rip them.