1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best SW for Authoring DVD Movies? DVDMF2, Instant CD DVD, Instant Copy, DVDLab or DVDXCopy?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by spideymac, Apr 18, 2003.

1. spideymac

spideymac Guest

I've been using DVDXCopy for some time and I have heartburn over 3 usage issues: (1)length of time to convert & burn, (2)using more than one 4.7GB DVD even for a small overage >4.3GB which is mostly a waste of another disc and (3)media sensitivity (this could more than likely be a hardware problem. As discussed with Sony Tech support, "it (Sony DRU-500A) is extremely sensitive to DVDxR(W) media"). And, FYI he stated, they recommend only Sony, Verbatim and Ricoh media use. He offered no response to my asking why they didn't annotate a proviso to the buying public of this [bold]MINOR[/bold] hardware idiosyncrasy?

I'll admit the learning curve is steep for DVD authoring and you have to "pay your dues" to become competent with the various work-around SW from VCDHelp & DVDRHelp (I've dnldd them all). I'm sorry, I just don't have the time. Please forgive if I'm looking for the most efficient, economical methods of producing a backup copy of my DVD collection, which is extensive and amounts to no small envestment.

I'm ready to buy. I just don't know what/which of the subject SW to purchase? I like the idea of DVD Decryptor and Instant copy for an acceptable 9-5 copy. Is there something out there that will do it in one step? I will provide further delineation of my computer rig if you think it's necessary. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2003
  2. whompus

whompus Active member

You might want to look into dvdshrink (free) or dvd2one around $40.

Also being a user of dvdxcopy you can choose to wait the month out and see what dxc xpress is going to look like

3. spideymac

spideymac Guest

whompus:

Thanx for the heads up but as mentioned, I've already dnldd damn near everthing, including DVDShrink and DVD2One.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

I don't think there is a program besides dvdxcopy yet that will do it all with a single front end interface. I think platinum of dvdxcopy will do what you need but not sure until I get to see it first hand. After the court ruling if it is favorable for dxc then there will most likely be many that offer single program to do it all for us.

I don't really understand a law as it stands that we as users can make a backup of our dvd but they the company's are not supposed to sell us a program that will let us do it.

5. spideymac

spideymac Guest

whompus: Just rec'd Sound & Vision today and read a review of Instant copy to which the reviewer likened it to the "Switchblade Kit". The switchblade itself is illegal to sell and/or use. However, when you purchase the kit it only becomes illegal when the user assembles it. Instant Copy is dodging the law but know full well all one needs is to use DVD Decryptor and Instant Copy to burn a DVD 1-disc copy. This is why I'm pulling for RHMoore et al to win this suit and get a "1-Button" 1-disc product out as soon as possible.

6. gpaneda

gpaneda Guest

You should try InstantCopy by Pinnacle System with DVDShrink. Works great for me. Burned 10 DVD's so far (just started this weekend) and I have yet to fail. All of which plays nicely on my JVC DVD Player.

7. spideymac

spideymac Guest

gpaneda: I know; DVD Decryptor and DVD2One will do the same thing!

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You're mixing terms of "authoring" and "copying" totally. Authoring is the process of making new DVDs out of video material -- such as your own camcorder material, adding menus, etc. Best authoring tool is probably Scenarist NT, costs appx. $35,000 (no decimal errors there, 35 kilodollars).

9. spideymac

spideymac Guest

Nit-Pick, Nit-Pick. The use of the word "authoring" in the sentence as written is absolutely correct; however, the intent of my entire post relates to copying DVDs. I think "most" understood that intent, but thanx anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2003
  10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I understood it as well, just wanted to avoid confusing users any further as the video world is full of terms that Joe Average doesn't have any idea what they mean.

Anyway, I would say that the title of best DVD-2-DVD-R copying tool is currently split by three tools: DVD Shrink (of being free and allowing tons of options), DVD2One (providing target size transcoding and IMHO better video quality than DVD Shrink) and DVDXCopy (for quality freaks).

11. darkwint

darkwint Guest

I have the Sony DRX-500ULX (External version), but same as internal. My home DVD video player seems to not recognize the DVD, even though it is a compatiable DVD player accourding to dvdplusrw.com...I did some research and for some reason the DVX is not not setting the bitsetter up correctly to read cd-rom...it is set to cd+rw or CD+R depending on the type of DVD disc you are using. I would like to know that if I use DVDShrink, will it allow me to choose the BitSetter so that it can work in my home DVD player to recognize a DVD-rom format?

12. whompus

whompus Active member

Im not sure as I dont have a sony burner but I think I remember reading somewhere that bitsetting doesnt work for multi format burners. I could be wrong and would like to know for sure if I am.

Spidymac
    Sorry I wasnt ignoring you or anything just been away for a few days now beta testing a couple apps. One of them was dvdxcopy xpress.It is now released as of yesterday I think. I think it even rises to the top for quality with compression(but I may just be biased) It is a nice little addition to the dvdxcopy famaly and will do kinda what you are looking for. Being that it will do it all for you with one click even, if you put the blank disk in burner and movie in dvd-rom before opening the program to get it started. If you start it first then put the blank in then you will have a second start button to click on to start the burn.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  13. spideymac

spideymac Guest

[bold]whompus[/bold]:

Thanx for the turn around. I too have been beta testing XPRESS and I think all my questions have been not only answered but satisfied. A bit of a problem with the beta but the alpha works perfectly.

Re: the "court ruling". It was that kind of mentallity that assassinated [bold]DAT[/bold].

Now I'll just wait with excited anticipation for Platinum. My [bold]CONGRATULATIONS[/bold] to Mr A.H.MOORE et al. You guys must be working nights!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2003