1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best value for money 42" LCD TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by a.l.a.n., Dec 26, 2009.

1. a.l.a.n.

a.l.a.n. Member

Hi All, looking for advice please I am looking for as the title suggests, my budget is £750. I want is purley as a TV--no gaming. Although having said that I will be using the WII on it every now and again.

I have narrowed it down to the tv's below, having said that it is still some listand of course if anyone can suggest any other tv which is not on my list. Anyhow any inforamtion would be apopreciated.

Alan
    Toshiba Regza 42RV635D
    Toshiba 42XV635DB
    LG 42LH3000
    LG 42LH4000
    LG 42LH5000
    LG-SL9500 42 inches
    Philips 42PFL7404
    Hitachi L42SP04 42

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Where are all the name brand sets that aren't on your list? Samsung, Panasonic, Sony (barf; these are best sellers- you didn't mention vizio which look nice to my eyes and are cheap. My wife has an LG adequate but i like my Sammy better both LCDs. JM2C

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

actually im kinda looking for the same thing.not sure whether to tget 40', 42'or 36'.im in australia so im not 100% sure what the price is in pounds i think 1 pound is worth $2aus.Ive seen a 42 inch tv for $1086 at the cheapest and a 47 inch for $1268.what im hoping to buy is a 40 inch or bigger for around $850-$950.hoping prices will go down alot during the post christmas sales.

4. a.l.a.n.

a.l.a.n. Member

Hi,
    the reason the others are not on my list are either..budget I am working with, or they have not been recomended on any of the forums/ sites I have visted. Intrestingly LG seems to be the most recommended.

Alan

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@alan

I can't believe no one recommended one of those brands, They are probably the 3 best sellers in US. I have no friend that owns an HD TV that is not a Sammy, Panny or $ony. Probably similar, where you are also.

I also have an LG 23" monitor for my pc and love it. (Flatiron)

6. a.l.a.n.

a.l.a.n. Member

Hi Garmoon
    just been out to the local retailers, just found out the reason none of the others you mentioned are not on my short list is...they dont make 42" They do 40" having said that I ave just looked at a 40" Sony BARAVIA LCD..seems to be highly recommended by all TV magazines etc, price £699 which I believe to be a good price. Thing is toooooo many choices:)

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

took me 4 months to decide on my first one.

8. dailun

dailun Active member

I just bought a 46" Samsung for $698.00 USD, well below your budget. Wherever you are, your tariffs must be severely out of whack.

Unless you cannot physically accomodate a TV greater than 40", you should have plenty of choices.

I own a 32" Sony XBR, and (2) 46" Samsungs (1 ea. Seris 5 and Series 6). I wouldn't consider LG or Toshiba in the same price range.

In no particular order,

Sony
    Samsung
    Sharp

are, IMHO, the three nicests sets side by side.

9. a.l.a.n.

a.l.a.n. Member

Hi, and thanks for your input. Well I have just visited out local Costco store and now I am looking to the 3 above you mentioned as well as a Tosh, and still the LG all are 40" except for the tosh and LG, plus I have uped my budjet.
    I dont know if some of these TV item codes are exclusivley to Costco.

Sharp LC40LE 700E £804.
    Sony KDL40w5710 £700
    Samsung LE40B650TWXXU £804
    Toshiba 42XV6635DB £563
    LG 42LF770 £712

I am going to do a little more research scouring the net, but again any input appreciated.

Alan

10. dailun

dailun Active member

All of the TVs that you are looking at are 120Hz.

"I want is purley as a TV--no gaming"

If you can "do" with a 60 Hz model you can do MUCH better on pricing.

Maybe it's because my eyes are getting bad, (and I haven't finished watching "Watchmen" on my Series 5), but I really can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz (or it could be I haven't watched anything that can show off the difference).