1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best VCR to Use for VHS -- PC

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by AlexJel, Oct 24, 2009.

1. AlexJel

AlexJel Member

I have some Hi-Fi NTSC-J tapes that I would like to copy to my computer so I can keep the tapes safe in storage but I want to have the absolute best quality I can get. Right now the only VCRs I have at my disposal that have a video out on them are a "GoVideo DVR5100" (99.9% sure) and a "Toshiba MW20FM1" with an integrated VCR.

So again if you would be so kind. What VCR do you suggest I get? (4/6 heads,SVHS,etc.) or use one of the ones I have? My capture card has both Composite & S-Video.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. sodaman

sodaman Member

Sony R1000 using the S-video out. The last of the best comsumer VCR before they started make the cheap crap.

3. AlexJel

AlexJel Member

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. AlexJel

AlexJel Member

Wow! Very informative stuff! I haven't made a purchase yet so I'll put all that stuff into consideration! Thanks!

6. sodaman

sodaman Member

The Sony R1000 is a S-VHS VCR. It easily cost over $1000 when it was new. I bought a used one for $425 6 years ago. It has superb video quality. My friend thought he was watching a satellite program. He didn't believe I was playing the recorded event from this VCR. The front panel flips down exposing the editing capabilities. The JVC and Panasonics maybe just as good, but I never owned one so I can't comment on them.

http://www.siliconsalvage.com/images/ebay/video/sonySLV-R1000a.jpg