1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to burn AVI to cd??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tANGEr, Mar 31, 2005.

1. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Hey, I been reading alot about burning AVI movies on to cd. Ive tried many programs with little results. Whats the best way to burn AVI movies onto cds without losing alot of quality. Which is the best format? VCD? SVCD? KSVCD?...Please help

thanks alot
    tanger

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

As 'rule of thumb' you can use this:

1) try with a CD-RW if KVCD quality is acceptable (I don't, to save a cheap CD-R). You might like it because about 140' KVCD movie fit into a CD. Lean how to make them in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272
    2) [bold]Never do AVI --> DVD movie. Use 'almost always' VCDs, unless the input basic quality is very good[/bold]; in this case you can use SVCDs. If the input AVI's quality is very good (e.g. a 700-800 MB DivX AVI), use VCD if the movie is <100' and VCD if the movie is >100' (or <=80' which, happens seldom). Then use http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm (from the FitCD part) to learn to use FitCD to use the correct VBR settings in TMPGenc to fit the movie into 2 CDs (if ou like movies on 3 CDs you can avoid the "<100' " constraint. But split the movie in pieces not larger than 50')
    Use http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 to learn to make VCDs (or any tutorial you find in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/)
    Is this enough?
    Ah, remember:
    1) encode the AVI into mpeg-1/2
    2) make the (S)VCD (with Nero, VCDEasy, VCDGear...)
    NEVER encode directly AVI --> (S)VCD

Ah, check if the audio is correct, first (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/144386), or you might obtain a mpeg without sound or a mpeg with sound non in-sync with the video

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  3. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

I burned a movies and everything worked fine except that the audio and video were not in sync. I tried reading the link you posted about this but it was too confusing. Would you mind explaining how I can get to audio and video to match up?

Thanks
    tanger

4. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Ive done some more reading on this forum, this is what Ive gathered, can some correct me if Im wrong.

1)With VirtualDUB, open AVi file and select Full Processing Mode. Then save WAV.
    2)Using ffmpeggui convert the WAV to AC3 file.

3)Using TMPGEnc convert AVI file to m2v file.
    4)With TMPGEnc load m2v movie file and ac3 audio file.
    5)Convert to mpeg
    6)Burn

Can someone help me out here...
    any help is appreciated
    Thanks

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Not quite.
    4) Author m2v and ac3 with DVDLab, tmpgenc DVD Author or other.
    5) Burn.

6. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

but im burning to a CD. Does this process still work?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nope.
    Do this:
    1)With VirtualDub, open AVI file and select Full Processing Mode. Then save WAV.
    2)Open tmpgenc, select the .avi as video source, the .wav from step 1 as the audio source.
    3)Encode to SVCD.
    4)Burn.

8. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Ok, i think i understand but theres a few things i want to clarify...

1)I dont need to convert the WAV to AC3 with ffmpeggui
    2)I dont need to convert the AVI file to m2v.

And when you say encode to SVCD, what does this actually mean(because TMPGEnc doesnt have a 'SVCD' option i dont believe). Do you mean SVCD as in SVCD bitrate, fps, etc....

What if there are audio/video sync problems?

Thanks a bunch
    tanger

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

1) correct.
    2) correct.
    Yes it does.

10. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Hi rebootjim,

Im using TMPGEnc 2.5...Is the SVCD option under the system tab> Stream Type> MPEG-2 Super VideoCD (VBR)?

Do I have to tamper with the video settings(resolution,fps,bitrate,aspect ratio etc...) or the audio settings?

thanks tanger

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nope, just select the template, encode.
    Don't mess with things unless you KNOW what you want to mess with.
    The ONLY thing you might want to touch, is the bitrate, so that the whole movie (or each half) fits on one CD.

12. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Is the SVCD option under the system tab> Stream Type> MPEG-2 Super VideoCD (VBR)?

^Is that correct?

How do I know if I should tamper with the bitrate?Its something I want to know for the future.

thanks
    tanger

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1) The most useful thing to do is to choose the 'SVCD' option in the wizard then choose 'other settings' button and fix the other settings, or click 'stop' and add the other options later, clicking the 'setting' button on the main page. You shouldn't be able to edit the 'stream type' tab, then. You already have choosen SVCD in the wizard (if you're using the 'Plus' version of TMPGenc 2.5).
    2) TMPGenc 2.5 has the MPEG-2 option only in the Plus version, i.e. the registered one.
    3) the M2V passage is not necessary. If you use DVD2AVI you can directly load the VOBs using the 'loader' .D2V project you create with DVD2AVI ad explained in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm and http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm
    Do not play with the stream options in TMPGenc, keep them in the default values [ Stream type = System (Video + Audio)]
    4) to correct the non in-sync audio, as reebootjim pointed, you just need to save the audio stream from your input AVI as an uncompressed WAV file with VirtualDub (Audio = Full processing mode) and to load it as 'audio input' in TMPGenc, instead of using the same AVI movie as default.
    5) the " choose SVCD if length is <100' " rule must be corected to " <110' " if you use a 700 MB (80') CD-R instead of a 650 (74') CD-R
    6) [bold]the .WAV --> .AC3 conversion mustn't be done because TMPGenc cannot use the .AC3 sound and .AC3 doesn't apply to (S)VCDs, only for DVDs [/bold]
    7) the passsage suggested by reebotjim 'author ... with TMPGenc DVD author' is applicable only if you want to transfer your movie on a DVD, not on a CD-R
    8) the bitrate tampering is absolutely necessary for SVCDs, where you've set 'Rate control mode = 2-pass VBR (VBR)' + have clicked the 'setting' button, after, fixing the [bold]Average, Max, Min bitrate [/bold]and have chosen [bold]'Max pass = 2-pass (old type)[/bold]' (found by FitCD, as explained in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm). FitCD will find the correct VBR settings to use in TMPGenc, to fit a half movie on a 80' CD-R (so the resulting CDx.mpg (CDx = CD1, CD2) will become about 830 MB) as explained in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm. It's a little longer than VCDs (it needs > 7 hrs to encode a disc, instead of about 2 hrs) and very complicated, and you must take very care, the first times. The quality will be great, but only if the method applied on very good AVIs. The method is better when it's applied in DVD --> SVCD conversions. And check that your DVD player can read SVCDs, first.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

7) Yeah, I revised my answer, when I (finally, DUH!) realized we're dealing with SVCD and not DVD :)
    8) For the first run, (for a beginner) I would suggest just trying to get a proper SVCD out. You can then adjust bitrate, by using FitCD, or any bitrate calculator, to maximize the use of the disk(s).

15. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Awesome guys...thanks so much, im gonna give this a shot and hopefully it works out.

But I was using FitCD to find bitrate stuff and I noticed that on the top beside the 'length of movie box' field, it said '25fps'. Isnt this PAL? I live in Canada so shouldnt i want 23.975 fps?

thanks
    tanger

thanks again
    tanger

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  16. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Ok, so I have a MPEG file that is 837MB big. I tried to burn this with Nero but Nero keeps telling me to insert a disc with more space. What can I do?

thanks
    tanger

17. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Use a 80' CD-R. Here you can fit 2336*360,000 bytes = 840,960,000 bytes of movie [or 2352*360,000 = 846,720,000 of RAW (cue/bin or NRG) image, which is slighly larger than the movie].
    Have you ever seen written on a cuesheet (*.cue): MODE1/2048 ('cooked' data, the usual data CDs 650/700 MB large), MODE2/2336, MODE1/2352?
    Since 1' VCD movie = 10 MB, it created the 'rule' : " 80' of VCD movie can fit on a CD-R".
    Of course , only approx 55' SVCD movie fit on a CD-R, therefore the rule is applicable only on mpeg-1 (VCD), and not on mpeg-2 (SVCD). SVCD are MORE complicated. I suggest you to use FitCD to 'create' a 830 MB mpeg-2, create a SVCD bin/cue with VCDGear (it will be about 10 MB larger than the movie) and only after burn it with Nero, Alcohol 120%, CDRWin, the application you like most.
    [bold]Careful, look carefully: In FitCD you can change the fps, choosing 23.976, 25 or 29.97 fps, in the first line dropbox. But I think this won't change the type movie (which has already been encoded in NTSC), if you would keep 25 fps it would make a slightly change on the calculation of frames (i.e. 23.976/25 of the real number) but, since the lenght of the movie (your input) remains the same won't make any difference[/bold]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  18. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

OK...I made a bin/cue image file with VCDGear. But still Nero doesnt like this. It still says that the CD media is too small and I need to insert a bigger CD. The bin image is 848 MB long. Whats wrong?

19. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

A CD can only hold 800MB, that's what's wrong.

20. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

I thought images work differently.
    I thought a CD can hold more than 80MB of an image