1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to burn AVI to cd??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tANGEr, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If you're burning it as data, no. If you're burning it as an mpeg-2 in SVCD format, then yes, because of some magic that goes on behind the scenes with video disks.

2. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Ok, now what can i do to make this fit onto a 80min CD?

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

...therefore a 80' CD-R can contain 846,720,000 bytes, not 848 MB! Maybe you put a wrong number (if you split a movie into 2 with TMPGenc's settings__advenced___select range, often the length of any piece is NOT 50% x L but, maybe 51%*L for CD1 and 49%*L for CD2. The length/size calculation must be made on the longest piece, not with the smallest.
    Or, maybe, you used an authoring application worse then the one you specified in FitCD (Nero is the best one, (+7.6 MB), VCDGear makes a larger bin, (+10 MB), VCDEasy creates the largest bin image, (+10-11 MB), starting with the same mpeg).
    Try increasing slightly the length of the input movie in FitCD: since 848/846 = 100.2% insert, in FitCD, a length 99.8% of the one you used before (maybe it's better if you put, for safety, 99.5% of it). Or, without using FitCD again, you can try putting in TMPGenc 99.8% (99.5% for safety) of the average bitrate you inserted before, as number).

Alas, you decided to start your 'activity' by starting making the most difficult Video-CD you could create.

If you want to risk and save MUCH time, simply try overburning the CD-R, if your burner can and your burning application allows you to try this 'trick'. Usually you manage to 'steal' 10-20 MB more than the default's CD, by overburning. But you risk to throw the disk away...no guarantee...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. haji1

haji1 Guest

The best way is to just burn it to vcd using Nero or another program like this

5. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

Ok, I managed to get the bin file to be 830MB. This is what I did (im not sure if its right but I was just playing around with VCDGear)

In VCDGear, In the "Additional Options" section -> "Span VideoCD Images at:", I chose 80min instead of Don't span. Burned the bin with Nero, but still no luck. The video is delayed by 2 seconds(roughly). What should I do?

Thanks
    tanger

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Tme counting for SVCDs is rather obscure. My DVD player goes on telling me that my movie is 39' 52" when the input movie (which I gave to Nero) was 52'30". Therefore maybe you should keep 'don't span'.
    ...or you choose 'Super Video CD' in Nero and input your 830 MB mpeg (you'll get a approx 838 MB .NRG if you choose 'Recorder__Image Recorder', or you will be able to directly record the movie on a 80' CD-R). You shouldn't enconter any problem.

7. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

This time I made an NRG file with Nero, burned that but still hasnt corrected the problem. The video is perfect but the sound is still early by 2 seconds. I thought saving the WAV in VirtualDub and multiplexing it in TMPGEnc was supposed to fix the sync problems. What can I do to fix this?

thanks tanger

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If the sound is delayed of a constant rate, you should open that uncompressed WAV with EAC doing Tools__Process WAV and insert 2' of silence when it's needed (at the exact point: does it happen at the beginning or, like in 3) of http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 , at a certain point?

At the 1st time you managed to:
    1) choose SVCD , the most difficult stuff to make
    2) have a corrputed/badly ripped input AVI
    My compliments....

9. tANGEr

tANGEr Member

What is EAC?
    The sound is delayed from the very beginning. It doesn't occur part way in to the movie

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

EAC = Exact Audio Tools, the only Audio-CD which is able to defeat Cactus Data Shield and a very good WAV (De)compressor - editor.
    Therefore you should calculate 'by ear' the delay (e.5. 2.5 s), then CUT 2.5 seconds from the WAV file.
    After that, make check by makinf with it a VCD with 'very fast' on TMPGenc, first. Then use that WAV to make the SVCD (WAV --> 'audio input').
    If you have already made the SVCD you can make a dummy mpeg, by keeping 'motion search quality = lowest (highest speed)' then multiplex (again TMPGenc___MPEG Tools) it to add the sound to the 'good' video file (video input = good.mpg, audio input = dummy.mpg, type: MPEG-2 Super Video-CD , output = final.mpg)