1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Clean a DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by cougar128, Jan 29, 2005.

1. cougar128

cougar128 Member

Hey, my friend has a Sony dru-700a DVD burner and he has burned well over 200 disks with it so far. Lately he's been getting a higher percentage of randomly unplayable coasters or movies that skip heavily part-way through. We have chalked this up to a dirty DVD burning lens because he consistantly uses TY disks, which are said to be one of the best. He switches between +R and -R burning now and then because when he burns movies for me, I give him my +R's, but for himself he uses -R's. The random unplayability and/or skipping seems to occur evenly as often using either media.

So my question is, what is the best way to go about cleaning the burner's lens? We can't seem to find any of those CD/DVD Player Cleaning kits that say they can be used on DVD burners, but are they ok to use anyway? Which brand of cleaning kit is supposed to be any good? Or is there some make-shift way to do it, that is a little gentler?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. cougar128

cougar128 Member

Hey, my friend has a Sony dru-700a DVD burner and he has burned well over 200 disks with it so far. Lately he's been getting a higher percentage of randomly unplayable coasters or movies that skip heavily part-way through. We have chalked this up to a dirty DVD burning lens because he consistantly uses TY disks, which are said to be one of the best. He switches between +R and -R burning now and then because when he burns movies for me, I give him my +R's, but for himself he uses -R's. The random unplayability and/or skipping seems to occur evenly as often using either media.

So my question is, what is the best way to go about cleaning the burner's lens? We can't seem to find any of those DVD Player Cleaning kits that say they can be used on DVD burners, but are they ok to use anyway? Which brand of cleaning kit is supposed to be any good? Or is there some make-shift way to do it, that is a little gentler?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  3. cougar128

cougar128 Member

oops, sorry bout the double post.

4. eascoast

eascoast Member

buy a DVD cleaner, they sell them everwhere. it usually has bristols on them . . . plus u wanna use an air duster, that could be another issue u r having.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  5. cougar128

cougar128 Member

So those DVD cleaners are fine to use on burners?