1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to copy computer game software.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by smackey26, Nov 27, 2004.

1. smackey26

smackey26 Member

I am looking for the best way to back up my computer games, i have 2 young kids that lovve to play them but needless to say they are not careful with them and i end up replacing them every month or so. I have mastered copying their movies, is there an easy way to back up the games?

thanks
    Jr.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum.

Well you're in for an entirely different experience with PC games because it can be much more involved than DVDs :)

Here are some considerations:

Unlike DVDs where you strip out the protection, in order to make a working copy of a protected PC game the protection needs to be accurately read then accurately written back to the disc. Unfortunately not all burners are able to do this. What make/model burner do you have?

You'll also need specialized software such as BlindWrite, Alcohol 120% or CloneCD with BlindWrite being my favorite and the one I recommend. There are several different types of protections used for pc games the most common of which are SafeDisc and SecuROM so depending on which protection and which version (they're constantly updated) of the protection there are various settings that need to be used with your application of choice.

We can start off by finding out what protections are being used on your various games. Here's a link to a small app that will scan the disc and list the protection and version number - it's called A-Ray Scanner:

http://www.aray-software.com/

Once you find out the protections then go ahead and list them here along with the respective games title, what make/model burner you have and we'll take it from there :)