1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to do this

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kalabula, Jan 24, 2007.

1. kalabula

kalabula Member

Ok I am trying what you told me and have not made it very far. In fact I have not been able to accomplish step #1.

I have the dvd in my dvd drive and am trying to figure out what vob is the correct one ( I am assuming it is one of the highest numbered vob's because the scene is at the lat 25 minutes of the movie). But I dont know how to view the vob files.

I am trying to open the file in Windows Media Player Classic and it will not open it.

I also downloaded some software (I think It was ffdshow) the other day to allow me to play dvd's on my computer and still cannot seem to open the vob.

Any suggestion?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Have to ripped the whole DVD to the HD as you keep taling about the DVD Drive. After that ripping you can look at the different vobs by right clicking on them as the decryption has been removed.

Edit: Do you have all of the necessary video and audio codecs installed. Also do you have DirectX installed? You can google for DirectX as it is on Microsoft's site and if you have PowerDVD or Nero Ultra installed then you should have all of the codecs you need

3. kalabula

kalabula Member

I will go ahead and rip the last 2 or 3 vobs to my hd. I will try and play them then and see what happens. I doubt that I have the proper codecs (whatever that is) installed. I had a Neroexpress (video editing software) installed on my computer but removed it in favor of Sony Vegas (far superior for video editing).

I beleive I have active x, it sounds familiar, but I assume we will find out once I have the files on my hd and try and play them. Which me luck (lol)!

EDIT: I am thinking I dont have the porper codecs as this movie should play directly from the disc, right? If I do not have the proper codecs how do I know what exactly I need to play this?

4. kalabula

kalabula Member

Sorry for all the trouboe with this. it ended up being a pretty simple process. I used decrypter to writ the last few Vob's to my hd and imported them into Sony Vegas.

Heres the problem now (and this belongs in another forum altogether): I can't seem to edit the vob. I imported it into the timeline of my Vegas project then split it right before the scene and right after it. Then I try and delete the 15 minutes before and after the 3 second clip and the entire scene (3 second clip and all) goeas away. Perhaps I will try and render this clip then edit it and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Also the vob doenst play very well in Sony Vegas. The video is choppy and the uadio doesnt sink up well with it.

5. kalabula

kalabula Member

My bad I had the "ripple edit" function toggled on and this was causing the entire thing to be deleted as one.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Glad you got it riped and found the video clip you wanted. As to editing it with Sony Vegas I would not be able to help you with that because I have never used the program.

I do know all you needed to do was to rip the 1 VOB file that had the video in it, not the whole DVD. To view the VOB files from the disc you needed to have a DVD player program like Nero Showtime or PowerDVD to play the VOB file. If you have a program that plays your DVDs then that program can read each VOB separately even if it is still on the DVD.

As to windows media player classic and it not playing the VOB I would not know if it played VOB or not. I do not use classic I use Media Player 11 and that will play VOBs. In any case it seems that you have got the correct VOB file and just need to edit it.

This would be an easy task for Nero Vision Express import the VOB file into Nero Vision Express and use the trim feature of the program to place the beginning marker right before the 3 second clip then place the end marker at the end of the clip.