1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to Encode for Long DVDs

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Mattroid, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Here's what I'm doing...I've got these AVI files of a TV series I want to put on DVD. I had first encoded them to the "DVD-VCD" format by encoding the audio and all that mess. That was great -- I was able to get plenty of episodes onto one disc. However, I cannot get the disc to read in my PS2. I'm assuming that the PS2 can't read MPEG1 videos or something. The audio would play, but not the video.

So now I want to try again and so that the disc will play on the PS2 as well as other DVD players. I got a DVD from someone else who done about the same thing and managed to get 22 episodes that are about 25 minutes each on one DVD. Each file was about 200MB and they encoded them like this:

MPEG-2, 352x240 29.97fps (4:3) NTSC
    MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2, 48000 Hz Stereo, 3kbps (Monoligual)

I tried to encode mine the same way, but they come out at about 1.5GB each unless I drop the video bitrate to like 700...of course, then they look like total crap.

Anyone have any ideas how they encoded their videos with those settings and managed to get such small files? Or anyone just have any other suggestions for me? I really want to try and get at least 10 or so episodes per disc or else it isn't really worth my time and I'll just forget the PS2 compatability...

2. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

What I need is a guide on how to encode MPEG-2 files with the "NTSC (Low Resolution)" setting in TMPGEnc. It says I can fit up to 495 minutes onto a DVD but the files still want to default to about 1.5GB each, what's the deal?

3. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

To get your disc to play on any standalone dvd player you will have to author it with a dvd authoring tool such as tmpgenc dvd author (free) or Ulead DVD Moviefactory ($$$) or adobe Encore ($$$). But you also have to follow the guidelines of acceptable resolution and aspect ratios and sound file types which may be different for each authoring program.

A few dvd standalone players can read data discs loaded with mp3, avi, mpeg1, mpeg 2 and such with no authouring (menus, chapters, etc) required. Phillips DVP642 comes to mind (I own this one).

4. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Thanx, but I know how to author a DVD. I use TMPGEnc Author. My problem was getting dvds to run on a ps2. However, the issue was that I was encoding them in MPEG-1 format so I could fit more video onto a DVD. This will work fine in a stand alone DVD player, but the PS2 won't play the video. I've since settled on raising the bitrate of the videos up to 2000 which still gets a decent amount of video on one disc.