1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to play backups.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by NAPALMA, Feb 19, 2007.

1. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

I want to backup all my xbox games on to the xbox harddrive. So far i have lots of conflicting info. Do I need a mod chip or should I just soft mod? I just want to be able to back up my games on the harddrive and be able to play them from there. I dont put linux on it, or stream movies and music from my computer, or run emulators. What should I do? Thanks!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well it depends on your money really.
    Softmod is free, but also you can damage your system if you do it wrong. Plus swapping out the stock hard drive for a larger one (which you will need) is not an easy process. And recovering from errors is much harder as well.

Getting a modchip installed (like a DuoX2 which is cheap and reliable) will cost you more at first. But swapping out for a larger hard drive is simple and easy. And recovering usually is an easier fix, even if you do have to format and start over.

With either method you can stream media and do the other things you mentioned in case you decide to use those features. After a new hard drive install you will want to use an autoinstaller disc like "Slayer 2.7 Final" to format the new drive and install all the dashboards and program (which include XBMC for streaming media, roms and emulators, and DVD2Xbox for copying a game from the DVD drive to your hard drive)

If it were me i would get the mod chip installed no question.
    And yes, you will need to buy a new large hard drive that is compatible with the Xbox (i would go with at least a 160GB or more)
    here is a compatibility chart for you, and installing one is easy even for a novice, i can link you to a great guide once you are ready, just PM me.
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

3. joho5

joho5 Member

hit hit it on the head.

basically it goes these steps

1. you get a modchip, install it

2. flash the memory on the modchip with a bios file (all the chip is doing is overriding the bios that is on the motherboard from microsoft)

3. download an installer (this is the easiest in my opinion) and you pop the disc in the box with the freshly installed chip and bios. it boots up to the install screen and from then on, you just choose how you want your hard drive set up (emulators, dashboards, applications, etc...)

4. have good fun.

4. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

Thanks! http://www.divineo.com/ has the DuoX2 Cromwell\Flashbios edition from 31 bucks shipped. This is the one that you recomend, right? I saw that they have another one there, the DuoX Lite, for a dollar more. I dont really know what the difference is between the both of them. I most likely have a 1.6 or 1.6b xbox and I want to make sure that they will work on it. I will start getting the other stuff ready in the mean time. I found Slayer 2.7 Final at http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3550032/Slayers_Evox_2.7_FINAL but I dont know if that is the best place to get it. As for the harddrive, I will want a pretty big one. What do you recomend? Thanks again for all you help steimy and joho 5.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Well Slayer 2.7 Final i would get at ISOhunt, i do not trust Piratebay since they got raided.

Western Digital 300GB is what i have in my Xbox, just check a compatibility chart and get one on it. I forget the exact model i had.

DuoX2 will work fine. That is what i have. No advanced features but then again most common users would not know what they were or how to use them anyway. I can do everything that i have wanted to do with mine. And you can get a DuoX2 GS for $22 at
    http://www.teammodders.com/store/
    they also do installs if you are not good with soldering.
    They can install the chip, the hard drive and ship it back. I bought mine there Premodded.
    http://www.teammodders.com/install/xbox/
    there is the install form if your interested.
    The DuoX2 would be $20
    The install is $35
    and the hard drive would be an simple install so i am sure they would not charge much to do that if you bought it and sent it with the Xbox.
    and shipping to them USPS insured should be around $15
    I know the guys there and i am sure if you talk to them they would flash it and use slayer and have it ready to go right out of the box if you ask them nicely :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. joho5

joho5 Member

hey steimy, is that site you bought your chip from pretty reliable? they have the x3 chip and i was about to get one, but i want a good reliable place to buy from. also where else do you buy from?

thanks man

7. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, i am a moderator there and have been there a few years now.
    I got 2 PS2 chip installs there and a premodded xbox.
    they are one site i can say you can trust 100%

8. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

Thanks again steimy, you are a big help. Found some good prices on http://www.newegg.com/ for hard drives. What kind of hard drive do I need? Do I need sata or ide or ata? Does cache size and high rpm matter? Also how big can you go on the hdd? The guide you pointed me to seems to show that people dont go bigger than 320gb, so I might stick to that. One more thing, what is the difference between the DuoX2 Cromwell and the DuoX2 GS? Will there be noticeable differences between the two? Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  9. steimy

steimy Active member

Duo2 GS i think is just a newer version of the chip.

I would stick with about a 300GB hard drive, and it has to be an IDE ATA style, not an SATA
    I have a 300GB Western Digital in mine and it has worked great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144392
    like that one, which is on the compatibility list.