1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to put cover on a disc!?!?

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by Creddly, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Creddly

Creddly Guest

I've recently bought Hitman Blood Money, and same with this, I back up all my games.

The thing is I would like to start putting proper covers on the actual discs so they can go inside the PS2 case with the proper disc.
    The thing is, all the covers I seem to find on the internet for the discs are slightly tilted and don't look good when they come out.

But i've come to ask if scanning the original disc is the trick?
    If so will any scanner make a decent job of it? Will it make the cover dead on straight and looking like a proper original disc???

I basically want the backup disc looking like the original... I know it seems silly but im a perfectionist!

Any help?

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I would try the scan. You might have to do a bit of work to get it on the spot, but it would probably be your best choice.

3. andersg

andersg Regular member

Will the light in the scanner do something to the disc? Just wondering.

4. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

The scanner won't do any harm to the disc. I wouldn't worry.

5. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

you know the disc cover material they use whats it called, because if i was to publish a beta version of one of my games and put it on disc i would want to make it look as professional as ps2 disc covers est.
    also with all the normal disc covers that i print on, as soon as i toutch the ink (even after 2 weeks) it sticks to my fingers and smudges.

i need great advice please :)

6. leo8013

leo8013 Guest

do you have a lightscribe dvd writer. it puts the cover directly on the disc. you however have to use lightscribe discs. you cant just use any disc. I stopped labeling mine do to the fact no matter what method you use to put it on the disc (the labels that is) they are never perfectly centered. they affected the playback (skipping, not playing, etc.) look into one if you are interested. people say that you dont get as bright as picture with it but all you have to do is reburn the image. it burns the image exactly over it. the writer reads the start point on the disc so the image wont come out crooked

7. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

o well no i dont have that drive :<
    is there any other professional ways to make a disc cover?
    and where can you get blank silver cd discs or dvd discs just like the ones you would get in a professional product ?

8. leo8013

leo8013 Guest

not really. the lightscribes are not that expensive but labeling the quality that you want. no

9. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

so where could i buy blank silver dvds and cds?

because the normal blank cds and dvds are ither purple or green.

10. emachine

emachine Guest

Are you trying to fool the cops when they come in looking for games?

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

1) don't use paper labels. they quickly cause a disc to become unplayable.

2) most people that bother to put labels like these on their discs are either doing a project/home video or trying to sell illegal wares. i'm guessing most of this is the latter. tread lightly.

3) if you *have* to label, buy white matte surfaced discs and get a printer capable of printing directly on the disc

4) dvd-roms are silver because that is a sheet of aluminum with the data pressed onto it. the blue/green/purpple colors on burnable media are dye that is "burned" with the laser in your compie to emulate the pits/troughs on the dvd-roms. there is no "silver dye."

12. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

ok thanks for the info so far,
    just so you know im no planning on using his for piracy lets just say i like making software and games and i want to publish them but in small scale.

so how would i burn a silver dvd? is it possibal to buy them untinted? i know at a computer fair i borght untinted cd roms before.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

they don't exist, at least for dvds. silver dyes don't work well at all, so they don't make them.

you'd have to buy a press and the materials needed thereof; it's in the area of $200,000+.

if you're gonna publish them on a small scale, just burn them on good discs. color doesn't make a difference; all you seem to be trying to do is fool the consumer.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  14. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

no i dont even want to fool the consumer i just want them to look good :( and profesional :(

so a disc without a die wouldnt work atall ?

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

unless you have a dvd press and the equipment required, you're going to have to settle for the typical blank dvd's. use taiyo yudens or verbatims, and the consumer will be happy.

16. emachine

emachine Guest

For 360 games is there any verbatims that can be labeled nicely?

17. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

18. emachine

emachine Guest

Well I need dl for 360 games. But don't ya need a special printer for those?

19. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there are good, reliable, cheap printers that can do it and do it well.

have a look at the Epson R300