1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to re-encode to a PAL disc from NTSC?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by floepie, Feb 3, 2008.

1. floepie

floepie Member

This may not be the best forum for this, but within DVD-RB, is there a way via an AVS script of some sort to resize and change the framerate to conform to the PAL DVD standard? And, of course to have all the proper PAL flags in the IFO?

2. Trom

Trom Regular member

This question has been addressed many times. DVD-RB does not cater for NTSC->PAL(or visa-versa) conversion nor does J.Dobbs have any plans to implement it in the future. However I would say if you are using say CCE why not just use the avs script with the encoder and leave DVD-RB out of the mix.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

put files in dvd flick then change to what you want

main movie only i thinks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

To convert from NTSC to PAL the "correct" way you will need to speed up the video and audio by approx 4%.

Do not, I repeat do not trust any encoding application that automates NTSC to PAL conversion as they usually do this by inserting frames which will make the frame rate slightly jerky. However, Trom is right. CCE is indeed one of the few applications that can handle this correctly via speeding up the video, not by inserting duplicate frames. I just prefer to take care of everything myself.

I will give an example of an AVIsynth script needed for NTSC to PAL conversion done correctly. This script will remove the pulldown (3:2) and speed up the video slightly to 25fps. This script also resizes to PAL's 720 x 576 resolution. You will need to use dgmpgdec to frame serve. You could also force film in dgmpgdec and not worry about removing pulldown in AVIsynth. I just prefer to do as much as I can manually. I will mark the pulldown section in the AVIsynth script red, so if you decide to use dgmpgdec to force film, you can omit that part of the script :)

Load the following avi script into CCE...

loadplugin("D:\AVIsynth Plug-ins\DGDecode.dll")
    mpeg2source("D:\YourNTSCVideo.d2v")
    loadplugin("D:\AVIsynth Plug-ins\decomb522.dll")
    Telecide(guide=1,post=2,vthresh=35)
    Decimate()

AssumeFPS(25)
    LanczosResize(720,576)

Note: Not all NTSC DVD's use the 3:2 pulldown pattern. This is the most common pattern which is why I used it as my example. You will need to know how to identify the type of material you have and adjust the guidance parameter accordingly. Also, the vthresh parameter needs to be adjusted for each video to detect interlaced frames correctly.

You will also need to re-encode the audio to speed it up slightly. BeSweet has the ability to do this. Use BeSweet GUI if you don't like command line applications.

I wouldn't worry about DVD-RB too much unless you are trying to retain the original menu but even that would be encoded in NTSC's 720 x 480, and you need not worry about the original chapter information anymore as that will be different now as the new PAL encode has different timestamps. Well, with some maths you could adjust the chapters file correctly. It's up to you.

With that said, you could use any DVD authoring program that directly streams your media files. I usually use TMPG DVD Author v1.6 to do this. I know this is an older version (I also have TMPG DVD Author 3) but I use this version because it's very quick. It can usually author a DVD with compliant streams in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Oh crap Rotary! I just realised how old his post is. What are you doing replying to a 6 week old thread?! I can only hope somebody finds it and makes use of it.... Grrrrr.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  5. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

hi lads, i have a dvd which is ntsc format, i want to copy or back up this dvd and also burn it onto a blank, for back up purposes and also convert it to pal, can i do this somehow? thanks for any help.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

let's stick to the other one..... - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/674358/4118380

7. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

my apologies creaky, im not normally one for multipost, wont happen again

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Cheers :)

9. ranosb

ranosb Member

ConvertXtoDVD seems to do a good job at this...

10. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The quality from ConvertXtoDVD won't come anywhere near that of DVD Rebuilder.

11. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

thanks for replies, mate of a mate of mine managed to do it with dvdshrink, which i had myself all along but just don't know how to use the dam thing, but if anyone has a guide it would be much appreciated

12. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

13. axxxo

axxxo Regular member