1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to turn a dvd9 into a dvd5

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by beermike, Dec 3, 2004.

1. beermike

beermike Member

Hi can somebody help me out... I want to turn a dvd9 into a dvd5 and still have good quality on the movie. Also is there a way to do this and keep all the features of the DVD, maybe take out subtitles and foreign languages. Better yet is there away to take everything out and keep the menu and the movie.

Can someone tell me what the compression precentages should be to achieve best quality when goin from dvd9 to dvd5...

Open to all ideas and suggestions...

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi beermike,
    Try DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter together. Look around here to find a guide. Both these programs are free and not too hard to use. Shrink will let you remove the extras and then make an iso image. Once that is completed, Shrink will call Decrypter to burn the disc. the best quality is 0% compression naturally, I personally like to see a Shrink compression level of around 70% or higher. If it gets lower than that then Shrink has some features to use to improve the situation a bit. I know those compression numbers are a backwards. When Shrink displays the compression number, 100% means no compression. The Shrink number is telling you how much data is left on the disc.

You can also find a scubapete guide over at my website in my signature.

You can use some different programs to leave just the menu. That is a bit more difficult to do as you can't just remove something from a DVD without affecting the data structure of the DVD. One of the ways that some programs like Shrink do this is by replacing the segment or title with a still picture. Some other programs like DVD Remake actually remove the title and make the appropriate changes to the file structure.

I just take all the extra stuff out and watch the movie!

Cheers,
    Frank