1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best WMA to MP3 Coverter?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by vince1972, Nov 18, 2003.

1. vince1972

vince1972 Member

Hi
    Can someone recommend to me a good and easy to use converter for my WMA files to MP3. If its a free download so much the better, but if not im willing to purchase one.

Thanks
    Vince

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

dbPowerAmp

3. vince1972

vince1972 Member

Thanks mate.

4. tigre

You're welcome. I was a bit short of time when writing my 1st reply. ;)

BTW: Transcoding from one lossy format to another will decrease quality, so only do it with a very good reason (and maybe keep the originals for PC listening/backup).

Cheers tigre

5. vince1972

vince1972 Member

I dont know much about the settings and stuff, basically all i do is when i convert the WMA to MP3 i select the highest possible bitrate and hope that will sound ok. Im not knowledable at this. :)
    Vince

6. reaching

reaching Member

Hi!

Tigre, since you like dbPowerAMP, perhaps you can help me out. I downloaded it about a month ago, but when I tried using it to convert some of my WMAs I got the message:
    I don't understand this, since I would have had to use Windows Media Player to get the WMA format in the first place. Is it some setting on Media Player, or should I have just ripped the CD without going online to get the information about it?

Thanks.

7. tigre

Hi reaching.

I know dbPowerAmp and yes - I like it because it's easy to use, but I almost never use it, as well as I don't use WMA. I've read somewhere at Hydrogenaudio that there's a program that can remove DRM from one version of WMA files, maybe a search there can help you. Spoon, the author of DBPowerAmp, also runs 2 related boards, maybe you'll find some help there. Besides this, there's a switch in WMP9 to disable copy protection/DRM on encoding. (Too late for the already encoded files).

I would do this:
    - Encode from CD using another (less 'evil') software (EAC or CDex) and another (less 'evil') format (High quality: Lossless (Flac, Monkey's audio), Musepack, AAC, Ogg Vorbis). There are some ways to encode to two (or more) different formats at the same time, e.g. if you want Ogg Vorbis for PC listening and mp3 for portable use.

- If the WMAs can be played back you should be able to use something like TotalRecorder to convert to .wav_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  8. reaching

reaching Member

tigre,

Thanks for the good advice. Y'know what? After reading your answer I tried converting some WMAs I had made using WMP9 - and it worked just fine!

I still need to follow up on some of your other suggestions for my *older* WMAs - I'll let you know what I come up with ...

9. y2jwwf00

y2jwwf00 Member

I know that the old musicmatch not the current 7.2 musicmatch the one before it does wma to mp3. Hope this help you out.
    Laura

10. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Hey Vince1972/Reaching. Have you tried this site:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-support.htm. it has several hints and codecs you may need to install for the program to work properly

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Silent Assasin[/small]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  11. WMA2MP3

WMA2MP3 Member

HOW TO CONVERT WMA (WITH DRM) TO MP3:

I just bought and downloaded music from Walmart.com and BuyMusic.com and then discovered that I couldn't put my songs on my 6 month old MuVo Nomad mp3 only player. I payed the artists for the music, so I think I have a right to listen to the music. This is how I did it. I downloaded SoundCapture from downloads.com because it was free. It does the same thing as Sound Recorder which comes with Windows, but it records for more than a minute. First, you go into Windows Volume Control (usually in lower right task bar of computer). Click on Options -> Properties -> Recording and then click ok. It will open up the volume control mixer. Click the select button under "Mixer." Now you have your computer set to record whatever noise you hear coming through the speakers instead of whatever you speak into a microphone. Then, open SoundCapture and make sure mixer is selected (it is by default). Click the record button and you are recording! Now, start playing the music you just bought in Windows Media 9. When the song is over, click the stop recording button in SoundCapture and then go into c:/program files/magicsofts/sc/ and you'll see an mp3 file with a long name made of a long number. Thats the song! Make sure you start recording with SoundCapture just before you push play in Windows Media to make sure you don't have to listen to a long perios of silence every time you listen to the song in the future. Also, you might try changing the volume level of the mixer in Volume Control and the recording level and mixer level in SoundCapture to get a louder mp3! If you make it too loud, you'll introduce noise (static) into the song.

I hope this helps.

I was extremely ticked off when I, a paying music enthusiast who is against music piracy, found out I couldn't play my purchased music on my mp3 player. I only plan to listen to this music just as I would if I had bought the $200 new wma compatible mp3 players.

12. amelie

amelie Member

i just paid for my first 99 cent download from Napster yesterday and was extremely pissed when I ended up with a wma that cannot be converted. the only way to convert it is to burn the song onto a cd with Windows Media Player and then copy the songs to your hard drive in mp3 format from the disc. if they want people to pay, they should give us what we want.