1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Xbox Mod Chip to date and hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Eazyduzit, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Eazyduzit

Eazyduzit Regular member

i wanna buy a mod chip for my xbox the best one out now. anyone have any ideas also i want to buy a hard drive let me know if anyone has any expierence in this stuff or info

thanks for the help

2. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Well Eazy-There are 3 chips out now that I highly recommned.
    1. Xecuter3-if you can solder that is

2. Xenium Spice-Completely Solderless

2. SmartLX v2-Solder
    as far as a hard-drive make sure it can be locked-Maxtor's are good for that. Do your homework on all three chips and once you decide to buy go with these guys-http://www.modchipman.com/-they are outstanding and have very good customer support. On another note stay away from the spider chip it sucks(cheap). Hope this helps

3. Eazyduzit

Eazyduzit Regular member

what about hard drive i need info on what i should buy

4. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

Xenium Spice sorderless on mine and it's great.Also bought 160 gig Maxtor which you can lock.Just make sure you have the latest bios for the mod that you will buy that can handle more than 130 gigs coz if you don't, your system will only recognize 130 gigs instead of say 160.

5. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Agreed-Easy stick with the Maxtor drives-there very realiable as far as use and failures go-as far as size thats a decision you have to make, rule of thumb the larger the drive the more games you can get on it. I'd say go for a 120GB drive you should get at least 30 games on it if you want more then go for the larger drive. Just keep an eye out on your sunday newspaper-Hard drives are always on sale.

6. usasikh1

usasikh1 Member

Hey guys I wanted to buy a new x box I have a 250 gb hardrive where can i get bios or software for it and how can i install it in xbox and the mod chips how to i nstall the mod chip

7. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I said once on xbox-scene.com forums that I thought maxtors were good hard drives and here is what a moderator told me,

"I for one would not touch a Maxtor with a 10-foot pole at this point. Keep in mind that HD companies seem to go in cycles with their quality. Maxtor had an outstanding reputation for a while but as of late they have had a number of them that are failing. The reviews on Maxtors that were released within the last year or so are not good. IMHO a Seagate is the way to go. Virtually all sites with reviews will give their drives 5 out of 5 stars and you get a 5 year warranty with them vs. a 1 year warranty that Western Digital and Maxtor offer. I have had defective Maxtor and Western Digital drives within the last couple of years. Anyways, just make sure you check out sites like http://www.newegg.com http://www.zipzoomfly.com and http://www.epinions.com and see a number of reviews on these drives and compare features and price to determine which one is best for you. The Seagates tend to be a bit more expensive however, as with the other drives you can always find a good special deal from time to time. Just check the weekly ads at your stores."

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

usasikh1, first off, check out this site to learn the basics of Xbox modding, http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/xbox1.htm

I would highly suggest getting the Xecutor 3 mod chip, as it is considered the best chip for Xbox and has the best support team (Team Xecutor).

If you don't wanna get into all of this stuff and just get all of this installed professionally, this site installs mod chips in your system for only $30! My friends have gone through this site and had their Xbox's modded and they have all had 100% satisfaction.

9. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Hey Pimp-Everyone has thier own opinion about drives, personally I'd have to disagree with the guy about Maxtor drives-I have one in my Dell Home Pc which I bought 3yrs ago and it has "NEVER" given me any problems-where I work we have IBM pc's which have Seagate H/D installed and they have crashed like crazy-So bad that IBM has switched over to using Western Digital H/D's. Now I see that seagate is offering the 5yr warranty now on drives but thats because thier trying to change the image they hve of one of the "WORST" drives around. Here's a link on a great deal on Maxtor drive(120GB)-http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1074952&Tab=11&NoMapp=0-and read the reviews aobut this baby. I'm planning omn ordering one for my Xbox and upgrading from a 40 to a 120

10. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yeah Macdawgg, I feel the same way you do, but I just got slammed on xbox-scene for stating my opinion about Maxtors being good hard drives... I have one and am very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  11. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

I was a Western Digital guy from the beginning.When the wife called me for dinner while i was at the computer, i turned it off and went back after i ate and that computer won't boot anymore.Bought a couple more of WD and died just like that so tried Maxtor and for 2 years now still running the same drive.

12. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

haha, there's two people backing maxtors, let's keep em comin!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  13. tipotip

tipotip Member

xenium s.p.ice

best chip ever :)

14. mesman21

mesman21 Member

Seagate = best drive ever
    Maxtor = used to be best drive ever, now stink
    WD = decent

15. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

No Seagate's are crap-they offer a 5yr warranty out of desperation for sales Maxtor is the best and WD is a close 2nd