1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BetterSound Quality?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Cathy300, May 4, 2005.

1. Cathy300

Cathy300 Member

I have Nero 6 and I recorded audio from the internet and I was wondering if anybody knew how to make the quality better and not so tinny.

2. Cathy300

Cathy300 Member

Is it possible to improve the song quality?

3. Molder

Molder Regular member

I think it is like Video quality, I don't think you can improve on what you started with, in other words it can only be as good as the original.

M

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

nope, unless you can find yourself a better copy to download, your SOL

5. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Correct me if I am wrong, but can Cathy not use an Audio Editor and perhaps delete some of the unwanted sounds? For instance Goldwave or Sound Forge by Sony? Can one not filter the audio file thru these editors? I call this addition by subtraction, in other words you are not able to improve on the original quality, but you could certainly remove some of the unwanted sounds from the original audio file, thus "Improving the quality".

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

rjessa's right, a noise reducer from an audio editor could help

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Not if the problem stems from there not being any audio info to decode. You can't make sound good when there is no information to edit. What I think they are experiencing isn't noise its the media player filling in the gaps the encoder made in the audio wav. What bit rate and frequency was the file encoded/transcoded at?

8. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

ig post

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  9. Cathy300

Cathy300 Member

"Correct me if I am wrong, but can Cathy not use an Audio Editor and perhaps delete some of the unwanted sounds? For instance Goldwave or Sound Forge by Sony? Can one not filter the audio file thru these editors? I call this addition by subtraction, in other words you are not able to improve on the original quality, but you could certainly remove some of the unwanted sounds from the original audio file, thus "Improving the quality"."

Thats exactly what I was thinking but I don't know what to use or how to use it. Any help with the programs?

10. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Using these programs are fairly stright forwards. Load in the audio file and use one of several filters available to clean out the audio. Each of the filters do diff functions. I am sure once you start to use it, you will get a feel for it. I have had audio file with humming sound embedded in the audio, and what Diabolos said is true, not all audio files can be filtered where you get "clean" pleasent sound. I think that would require very expensive software which can actually dissect the audio file into different audio waves, then these diff freq waves can be eliminted. These softwares will do a pretty darn good job. You will be able to hear it right away the changes you make(real time). Goodluck. in my case I was not able to completly remove the humming sound, but I was able to improve on the audio for sure. Remember though that if there is video involved you cannot alter just the audio, otherwise you will have sync problems.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  11. Cathy300

Cathy300 Member

Thanks, I will play around on Nero with the different noise effects and reductions.

12. dvdisme

dvdisme Guest

my experience is if the quality is low even if you can up-convert it, it still sounds "tinny" look for internet stations that broadcast 128 k/s or higher just like you would mp3's then the quality will be ok