1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware ilo will not play all DVD movies

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ede67, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ede67

ede67 Member

Spoke to ilo tech support today, 2/28. They have a bug in the unit that it will not play DVDs using a type of Sony copy protection. When you play one of these moves that players locks up to the point you must unplug to reset it. Before you ask no current firmware update will fix this. When I called ilo tech support they confirm the issue. The tech even had a list of movies the player would not play. Must be something new from Sony as only new releases are affected. Problem is ilo has known about this bug since December and still does not have a fix or a date on when it will be fixed. Scary that we have a DVD player that will not even play store purchased movies and is still be sold.

2. ede67

ede67 Member

Just to be clear the model I am talking about is the DVDRHD04, DVD recorder with HD. Sorry for any confusion.

3. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics Member

Do you have a list of the movies that won't play?

4. ede67

ede67 Member

My unit locked-up on "The Grudge". The ilo rep it also happend on "Little Black Book" but he did not give me the whole list.

5. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

It is on most the new Sony movies with the archos encryption on them. best way to watch them is to rip it and watch the copy.

6. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Ya my ilo also locked up on the Grudge DVD. I went into chapters and shipped the first chapter which did not cut any of the movie out and it played fine

7. gserve

gserve Member

Add Taxi to the list.

8. gserve

gserve Member

Hi,I have the dvdro4 model to clarify.

9. 4-n-zics

4-n-zics Member

I watched the DVD "The Grudge" last night and did not have any problems with my iLO DVDRHD04. I didn't try skipping chapters or copying it to the HDD though.

10. gserve

gserve Member

Hi, I had a brain cramp.Taxi played fine on my ilo. The movie "control" was the one that had the problem.

11. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

edge67 RE; Sony disk problem
    Posted this reply on another forum you posted the same problem

The new sony copy protection is a problem for many players ( and TV's ) not only ilo. An example is that many TV's would have a bent or folded over settion at the top of the screen. My Sony did, my Sanyo didn't. this was caused by the copy potection on many of the copy protected VHS tapes. DVD does not (seem) to have this problem. The new Sony copy protection is causing a lot of problems not only with ilo. Seems that Sony is attempting to copy protect to the point that a disk will not play PROPERLY on most units and than blame everyone else.You can do the same to a PC with all the protection software and blame problems on a virus.

12. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

New firmware available to fix the ARCCOS problem. You can get both unhacked and hacked from my site.