1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big problem with laptop....need help please.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jediboy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. jediboy

jediboy Member

Well, my sister's laptop is having trouble. We have a wireless-g broadband router, from linksys. It's connected to my modem right now on my computer, and has been working fine until recently for the laptop. The first problem is that it says that the wireless network connection is connected, and signal strength is very good. It also says that for local area connection, a network cable is unplugged. The internet on the laptop is unreachable, for the most part. By that I mean, if I go into the bookmarks and open up a message board forum, that can be reached, but nothing else. My sister goes to this forum a lot, so maybe because it's so visited it works? I really don't know.

The second problem is with the Norton Anti-virus. It says it is installed, but the status in unknown. The Virus Definition File is from the start of November, and as for scanning in general, when I try to scan the computer it says this:

Symantec Antivirus could not access the scan engine. Please ensure that the product is properly installed.

As for the Live Update, I believe it's selected but when I open up Norton, it has a lock icon. When I hold the mouse of it, it says: The administrator has locked this option.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what windows & what version of norton

3. jediboy

jediboy Member

Windows XP, Norton version 9.

4. ddp

norton 2003, 2004 or 2005

5. jediboy

jediboy Member

doesn't say, though I'm guessing it's 2004. She got it from the college she goes to.

6. ddp

if have cd, uninstall it in add/remove programs in control panel than defrag hd than reinstall norton. post results

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004