1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG problem with Windows 98, DOS, and mww\dll, need to recover hdd

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by USMAMyer, Mar 12, 2007.

1. USMAMyer

USMAMyer Guest

Alright here we go.
    Got a computer im working on for a relative, its a dinosaur of sorts, an IBM thinkpad 765L. He uses it for an a/c company he runs in South Florida, and summer is fast approaching.(needless to say, this is the busy season)
    The problem is that upon startup, dos gives an error about MWW\DLL, i will type exactly what the message is below.

C:\>PATH=C:\MWW\DLL

C:\>Path=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\MWW\DLL

C:\>SET MWPATH=C:\MWW\DLL;C:\MWW\MWGAMES;C:\MWW\DSP

C:\>REM The following is used by DOS games to recognize Sound Blaster hardware.

C:\>REM If hardware settings are changed, please change this line as well.

C:\>REM See the Mwave README file for instructions.

C:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

C:\>SET LIBPATH=C:\MWW\DLL

C:\>

This program requires Microsoft Windows.

C:\>

This is exactly what the screen looks like verbatim. Ive tried a million different things including boot disks and editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files which i use the command - C:\>edit autoexec.bat and get "bad command or file name" in return. When i check the directory i see that the files are intact but cannot edit them. i have also tried other forms of hdd regenerators and BartPE discs but i am unable (probably just too stupid) to boot.

My knowledge of DOS coding extends to very little work when i was about 10 years old and small fixes over the years. Any advice, even the smallest thing i might be overlooking, will be greatly appreciated.

2. USMAMyer

USMAMyer Guest

By the way, all i really need to do is recover the address book from the computer, then i can reformat the drive if i can figure that one out.

I would also like to mention that this computer has a CD (NOT DVD) drive and of course, no floppy drive because that would make things easier.

HELP?